Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change the name of this forum! UGH!

Change the name of this forum! UGH!

:frustrated:

First time on this site, and couldnt believe that this forum is called "male nurses forum".... it's the 21st century....

Nurses who are men...or Men in Nursing would be a more fitting and welcoming title for this forum.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Change the name of this forum! UGH!

What's wrong with the name of the forum? Male = gender. Nurse = occupation. Male + Nurse = Male Nurse. Saying "Nurses who are men" is no different.

Berwynrn,

I very much appreciate your feedback. If you have any other suggestions, questions, comments, or complaints please do not hesitate to voice them.

Regarding the name of the forum, to me it really doesn't matter one way or another, though I tend to lean Amanda's way here.

The reason it is named "male nurses forum" rather than "men in nursing" which honestly does sound better for the TITLE of a forum is that the term male nurses is searched for on the internet quite a bit more than men in nursing.

When creating the titles I researched search terms and how often they were searched for. This is why some of the forum titles may appear somewhat odd or not quite as they should be.

My theory is that if I can get more MEN to sign up here and talk about nursing because of a forum title showing up better in the search engines, then I'd rather have that there, than a title that may be somewhat more appropriate, but bring less people in.

If you feel that strongly about it though, and others agree with you, I have no problem changing the name of the forum to "Men in Nursing".

I couldn't disagree more with this request. Men in Nursing is TOTALLY different from Male Nurses' Forum. Men in Nursing sounds like this history of prominent people... WOMEN IN NURSING (can you say Florence Nightingale?) I think of myself as a male nurse. It means that I am a man who is engaged in a profession that is historically thought of as a woman's profession. Is there anything wrong with saying female doctor? I like it just fine the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Men in Nursing sounds like this history of prominent people... WOMEN IN NURSING (can you say Florence Nightingale?) I think of myself as a male nurse. It means that I am a man who is engaged in a profession that is historically thought of as a woman's profession.
    That's a pretty good point.

No offence Ladies but we have more women who already "snoop/ eaves drop/ look in on/ et all---" to see if we are talking about them. (Coworkers have stated as much.) We don't need them thinking this is a sight for bashing men who are nurses thats what the rubber room is for. I don't mind the title, after all thats how I found this forum.

Let's not fall victum to political corectness.:rolleyes:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

How about....

Quote Originally Posted by BerwynRN View Post
    :frustrated:

First time on this site, and couldnt believe that this forum is called "male nurses forum".... it's the 21st century....

Nurses who are men...or Men in Nursing would be a more fitting and welcoming title for this forum.
    How about The Y Chromosome Forum? BoRN

Nothing wrong with this Forum name, whatsoever!

This forum is for males that are in nursing, or are thinking about becoming a nurse to be able to discuss issues unique to males that choose nursing as a career. Plus, females in the nursing profession are certainly welcome here, too, to provide positive feedback on issues unique to male nurses, or even for men in nursing, LOL. IMHO, both phrases are one in the same.

IF, someone complains about something they better be able to, at the same time, provide positive feedback on alterior options. Otherwise, coming on a site with a complaint w/o providing an alterior solution is a WORTHLESS use of time, IMHO. My apologies to Aaron, as I'm a Mod, therefore a Rep of this outstanding site. However, I can think of alot more serious ills and wrongs with this world than the title of this forum.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Okay guys, let's not get all excited about the name of this forum. This is my first time here and I accept the name. I don't like to be introduced that way to a patient, but for websites and searches this is how I found this site. Over time things may change like the name for stewardesses to flight attendants, but then again, do we want to change the name of a long historical noble profession like nursing? I am not sure I do. I am a member of the AAMN and support both men and women in the continued growth of our profession. Just my two cents guys. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennPedsRN View Post
    Okay guys, let's not get all excited about the name of this forum. This is my first time here and I accept the name. I don't like to be introduced that way to a patient, but for websites and searches this is how I found this site. Over time things may change like the name for stewardesses to flight attendants, but then again, do we want to change the name of a long historical noble profession like nursing? I am not sure I do. I am a member of the AAMN and support both men and women in the continued growth of our profession. Just my two cents guys. Thanks.
    excellent post! Thanks for contributing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast