Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one does what? Help Please

Which one does what? Help Please

I do not want this to sound too stupid, but I do not know exactly what all of the differences is between the LPN, RN, BSN and the Associates. I want to go into nursing for my career but I do not know how to go about deciding what sort of nurse I want to be with out knowing exactly what these different kinds of nurses do. So if someone could please just give me the basics on what each of them do in the nursing field it would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks SO much!!!

Kate

Re: Which one does what? Help Please

Kate,

There are a number of differences in the types of nurses.
    LPNs have a little less training and a smaller scope of practice (they can't do quite as many things as a RN can)than do RNs. The programs usually run about 1-2 years. I believe, although this is personal experience only, the RN has more opportunities than does an LPN. I have worked on the east coast and the mid-west. I have worked several places where the hospitals don't even employ LPNs. Currently I'm in Texas, most of the LPNs here work in long-term care facilities.
    For an RN there are 3 (well I don't think there are any diploma programs left) types of programs. A diploma RN goes to a nursign school affiliated with a hospital. Used to be a 3 years program. Take nursing courses and receive little or no college credit.
    An associate RN goes to a 2 year college program. Takes basic liberal arts as well as nursing classes.
    A BSN goes to a 4 year college program. Takes all liberal arts as well as nursing courses.

All of the types of nursing programs qualify one to sit for nursing boards. When you finish a program (no matter the type) you receive your degree. But you must them sit for the nursing boards in your state.

It is impossible to say which is a better program. Do you want to or can you afford to spend 4 years in college? Do you have a fa,mily? How old are you-will you be making nursinga long term carreer? Typically, the BSN goes into adm easier than the others. But as a begginning nurse, if working as a care-taker in a hospital settign they all start @ the same pay rate.

I tried to give some basic info. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me here or directly @ mercynurse62@hotmail.com

Bonnie

Anonymous

The difference is education and accountability. LPNs certainly know how to take care of people, but if a lawsuit rears its ugly head.....it's the RN who will be the first to feel the pain.
    An RN has to have more education.......and is consequently more educated.
    ADN nurses are taught the clinical skills and the info necessary to pass state boards.
    Diploma school nurses are taught how to function well in hospitals........in my humble opinion, they are the best.
    BSN nurses are taught theory and the "science" of nursing...the are given the background to do more than hospital nursing because they can do Occupational health, public health, and a multitude of other nursing disciplines.
    I am an ADN in pursuit of my BSN....... it's not easy, but education is its own reward.
    If you are able, seek your BSN

AndreaHRN@juno.com

If you're thinking about a career as a nurse in the future I would highly recommend that you pursue a BSN degree because the BSN is rapidly becomming the acceptable entry level of education for a "profesional nurse" (RN).

In order to improve the image and prestige of the nursing profession organizations such as the Council of Nursing and the American Nurses Association have lobbied for changes in nursing education (and future employment opportunities) by seeking to eliminate all diploma nursing schools, by nearly forcing most LPN's to work in long term care facilities if they want work at all, and by seeking to "downgrade" the Associate Degree RN's of the future to a quasi-professional status and call them "Technical RN's" rather than "Professional Nurse".

Some states, such as California, have legislation in the works, or already passed that will require nurses hired in hospitals as RN's to have a BSN Degree (by 2005 in Cali last I heard) to practice as a "Professional Nurse". Those without it (ie: ADN degree nurses) will be given roles most commonly associated with the role LPN's presently play.

Basically I'd say look ahead & go with the trend if you can manage the time to get the BSN degree. It's the way the future of the profession is headed, and if you want career options such as nurse practitioner or wider scope of responsibility within your practice setting you will need the BSN as a starting point at any rate.

Anonymous

LOLL I wouldn't say the any RN is necessarily more educated... She/he should be but we all know woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

LOLL

Bobette H Turner RN BSN....WR,,, three commas for Becca

You can obtain your education through many different educational programs, I became an LPN by joining the U.S. Army which has a very strict program that allows you to obtain the same training as a civilian RN...your scope of practice is much greater than that of a civilian LPN/LVN. You are taught to be innovative and must think very fast in order to complete the mission. Anyone that discounts an LPN/LVN should be laughed at because we are the backbone of many organizations...my goal is to attend medical school...nurses are capable of doing anything, but since I have a greater appreciation of ailing and unhealthy individuals, I ultimately feel as though I can be an awesome physician. By the way, your earning potential is not limited by the letters behind your name...I have been blessed with a corporate nursing position for a transportation management company (I make more than most seasoned RN/BSN nurses). My education is obtained in steps...so set your goals and work at staying focused.Peace and Blessings...you will be awesome. <font face="Black Chancery">Text</font>

to answer your question using the KISS method (keep it short and sweet):

LPN: one year program, has to take pharmacology course and pass test to pass meds, has to take infusion therapy course and be certified to deal with IVs

RN diploma: two/three year hospital based program (hands on training clinicals throughout the course of the program). associated college courses taken A/P, microbiology, anthropology, biology, math, english

RN AD: two year university based program, (book taught nurses, few clinicals) some have started added clinical rotations to the end of the program so nurses could get the hands on training so *INVALUABLE* to a nurse's education!

RN BSN: four year university based program, ditto the rest of the RN AD discription

Diploma nurses are better prepared to "hit the floor running," but more and more healthcare facilities are instituting policies to use educational levels as a basis for pay and promotion... just something to think about...

Anonymous

Thanks. That really helped me. I'm still confused thought on what i'm going to do

Anonymous

I was not sure about the difference either. Now I know.

Thanks!

Oh hd rn-
    I am in an AD program here and the only courses that are required other than clinicals are A&amp;P 1 and 2, Micro, Sociology, Comp I, College Algebra and a humanities elective. Most of our time will consist of clinicals. We have 4 semesters of clinical, our first semester is at the "mock" hospital at the school with the computerized dummies. It actually looks VERY real. Then the last 8 weeks of that semester, the clinicals are transferred to a local hospital in med/surg. The second semester is L&amp;D, can't tell you right off hand what the next two are. I know that 4th semester has preceptorship as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast