Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCLEX - State Board Exam

NCLEX - State Board Exam

OK, quick question for all you nurses out there.... Did anyone out there fail the NCLEX the first time they took it? If so how did you cope with waiting three more months to take it again?

I took my board exam on February 27th and I'm awaiting results by mail from the board. They post people with a license by name on their site www.rn.ca.gov Usually people from my class that have taken their name appears within 2-5 business days after they take the test. I have had a friend where it took a week and also a friend of a friend where her name never appeared online, but she received her license in the mail.

Anyway my name should have appeared on March 2 cause that would have been two days after. Well, it's not been 6 business days as of today since I took it and nothing is up there. I am very worried that I didn't pass, which is totally bumming me out because I have a current job as a IP Nurse (I'm working on my Interim Permit) in the NICU and I absolutely LOVE it. I couldn't ask for a better hospital, department, or coworkers. My preceptor is absolutely FABULOUS. I'm just so afraid that I have to tell them I didn't pass and I'm afraid that when I do get to take it again at the end of May that my great job will no longer be there.

It's all very depressing. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: NCLEX - State Board Exam

I only took it once the old written way with 100's of nurses in a cow barn at the state fairgrounds but I know lots of good nurses old and new that didn't pass the first time. It will come though waiting is the worst.

I did not pass my boards the first time. Way back when we used to sit in for a big 2 day mega test marathon where we actually had to color in little circles with a number 2 pencil....ugh!!! We also had scores. I missed it by only a few points and was totally crushed. I had to go back to work with 3 new grad friends of mine who had passed. They were all very considerate and understanding but I was still embarrassed and felt like a dummy. I worked through those 3 months and put up with a lot of stuff from nurses who did pass and were making nursing faux pas left and right. But I took the boards the second time and passed with flying colors no problem. It was just a nerve racking 2 days and I was not mentally prepared for it. Keep doing your practice questions and keep your chin up. You're not stupid and you will succeed. Don't listen to anyone who gives you a hard time. Nurses often tend to be very petty and mean to each other instead of helpful. Best of luck to you!!

Hi, I got NCLEX febr. 26 and I didnt pass, this is my second try and I reallly doubt my last test results. Because they are worst then were before. Even after I took Kaplan course...I cant believe it,,, I was pretty sure I passed. By the wasy - I received results within 11 days....

Hey...chill out! Didn't you say you had a friend whose name never appeared online but she got her license in the mail??? It's ONLY been 6 days. I think I had to wait about a month until I found out. So stop stressing yourself out- you'll get an ulcer.

Well, I got the news today and I didn't pass. I was devastated when I saw the packet in the mail. I knew it was a "No" from the moment I saw what kind of envelope it came in.

Anyway, I did my crying and wrote my assistant manager at my current job in which I was working with my IP. Hopefully she'll call me back tomorrow. I'm just so depressed in a way because I have been training and working my ass off for the past 3.5 weeks learning and enjoying and now I can't do it anymore because once you fail your IP is void and it's only a one time deal so it's not like I can get another one.

The other bummer is that you have to wait 91 days to take it again, which means I can't take it until the beginning of June! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway, thanks to all of you who replied and gave me back a little confidence. I'm gonna kick the NCLEX's ass next time.

Thanks again!
    Brandi

Brandi

That's the right attitude to have. I can understand your frustration, but keep with it, and the next time you take that exam, you will kick it's ass.

Best of luck, and let us know if we can be of any help to you.

Charles

Hello. I wish you luck on passing your exam.
    I'd like to share my dilemma with you. I took the exam last week, Nov 24th and still have not received anything by mail. I kept checking the CaBRN site also for my "license," but zilch...

The exam stopped after the 75th question and I thought I did well, until now.. I guess the waiting really is the pain, for as a CA candidate, we won't know the result until the "big or small" envelope comes. I have taken it "several" times by the way. Maybe we can team up together so we can get this one out of the way and be a real nurse. Goodluck and I hope to hear from you.

jonas

I have taken my boards twice and both times I stopped at 265 I took them again today and stopped at 150 WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Beverly said:
    I have taken my boards twice and both times I stopped at 265 I took them again today and stopped at 150 WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They say it means nothing. But the shorter the test is the faster the software has made up it's mind whether you have passed or failed. Therefore it seems to me that you probably passed this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast