Thread: anesthesia

anesthesia

hi i was woundering how long should you place the anesthesia face mask over a patients mouth and nose for?

Re: anesthesia

Lara that would certainly depend on what the patient is having done. Are you a nurse?

yes i am a student nurse.

can some tell me how to place the anesthesia face mask over the patient's face and how long to keep it there for. and does anyone have any photo's of this.

Dont you have any study-book? Can't you ask your teacher?

Lara you may find the resources for nurse anesthetists I've put together http://medi-smart.com/anesthesia.htm useful. You're a nursing student?? Those questions would be more appropriate coming from a CRNA student, but I can;t imagine any nursing instructor expecting a nursing student to know those answers. Well, poke around the CRNA resources, and check the student nursing resources too- http://medi-smart.com/student.htm ...

You might also want to explore specifics of whatever surgical procedure you're question relates to by checking the 3D Interactive Human Anatomy tools-- or the Medical Video Library- you'll find them both under student resources here: http://medi-smart.com/nursing.htm

What year are you in in nursing school?
    Sara

im in my first year at nurse college in the uk and also are you a anethetist.

No lara, I'm primarily an ER nurse, but regardless what area I practice in, or anyone else who replies to your questions for that matter, the answers to your questions remain the same. The length of time a patient remains under anesthesia depends upon the procedure being performed. I understand you are interested in being a nurse anesthetist someday but you must first become a nurse before you can go onward to advanced educationthat would prepare you to be a CRNA, so if I may, I suggest you put aside such concerns as these for now and concentrate on your first year nursing subject matter. Don't you agree that would be smart?

Lara,

I have to agree with Sara on this one. Don't know how your schooling works in the UK. But here in the states, anesthesia is NOT in the scope of practice for an RN unless they have had advanced practice training. We are not permitted to give anesthesia (and intubate a patient for full anesthesia) without the CRNA license. Now conscious sedation is a different matter, however, no mask is used.

I will talk to my friends ( I belong to a British ladies group, a number of who are RNs and have practiced both here as well as Britain) and see what their take on this matter is. Will be able to get ahold of them the first of the week.

Bonnie