Thread: University of Phoenix Online?????

Post University of Phoenix Online?????

Just a quick question for everyone to get your opinion on something.

I graduated with my ADN just over two years ago and have been practicing as a RN since then in various areas such as Med Surg, Mental Health, ICU and currently ED. I have been debating recently on whether or not I want to go back and get my BSN. I made the decision that I do and started researching RN to BSN programs (mostly here within my home state of Kansas). My biggest complaint was all of these unnecessary classes that they required. So I continued my search and came across the University of Phoenix. Much to my delite they didn't require these classes, but now I have another concern.

What is everyone's thoughts on the UOP Online? It is worth my time? I plan on moving out of state eventually (not for sure where though) and the last thing I want is a prospective employer saying "Oh! Ewwwww! You received your BSN from the UOP online!", and wind up not getting the job.

Stephen, RN

Re: University of Phoenix Online?????

In most cases, a potential employer won't care where you got your BSN from, as long as you have it.

For an MSN in Nursing, specially for teaching purposes, it may very well make a difference what school you get it from.

University of Phoenix has to satisfy the same state requirements as a traditional college. They will get the credits in somewhere.

I'd always recommend the traditional classroom over a online course. If it is more convenient for you to do it online, do look into it.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Degree Programs Online, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com

Actually Stephen the University of Phoenix Online is so well respected that a lot of hospitals nursing departments hold group study sessions, and one I worked at had class webcasts in the nursing lounge for those working on their Masters from UoP. It's that well respected.

Here's more about the school btw--
    Exemplary Online Education

More about online nursing schools & online education in general- things to look out for, scholarships for adult students etc, accreditation etc here:
    http://myonlinenursingdegree.com/student-resources.html

And a lot more accredited nursing schools offering the online RN to BSN programs so you can compare them, get info, see what they cost & require etc: Online Nursing Schools

If you have any other questions post away because if I can't answer I can ask the people who definitely can find the answer & let you know...

UOP online is fine. It is fully accredited, and well respected. My wife chose the same route for her RN to BSN, then entered the Air Force as a Nurse Corp Officer (BSN through UOP Online was just fine for them). My wife is also currently applying for several masters programs, and her UOP BSN is not affecting her nagatively in any way.