Thread: Psychiatric Nursing

Anonymous

Psychiatric Nursing

Hello, I am a New Nurse and I am interested in Psych Nursing. I have worked in this area as a CNA and I have felt the pull of this specialty. Can anyone give me some advice on what it is like as a RN and what I can do to get started? I am not to interested in the critical care aspect of nursing or the ob/peds part but this is what is really what I am gravitating twards. I never had the chance to work this area in Nursing School (It wasn't offered). Thanks

Re: Psychiatric Nursing

Sorry I can't help but God love you cos I can't do psych nursing.....glad to hear someone likes it!!

Psych was my favorite rotation in nursing school because it was like being on vacation compared to the nasty nursing home we did the geri rotation at! I had a likeable young man who thought he was a vampire and perched on top of the nursing station trying to nip at passing necks. Luckily he was harmless and good fun to talk with too! *LOL*

I did a few psych facility shifts as an agency nurse and I have to say I found it to be easy and relaxing as compared to critical care, peds or ER. I guess your safety would depend on factors such as type of patients, security matters, staffing ratios and other considerations that you should look at when considering where you might want to work though because we've all heard about nurses who have been seriously injured by psych patients too of course.

Let us know how things are going when you start interviewing & pick where you plan to work ok? Good luck!

Anonymous

I work as a psych nurse at a general hospital on an adult in
    patient unit. I love my job. It is exciting and rewarding.
    Psych nursing is truly people oriented as opposed to task
    oriented. There are many advances in mental health. Also
    it offers diversity in your career because you can work in specialized out-patient programs ie:schizophrenia, med. clinics, eating disorder programs etc. If you are interested you should give it a try. I don't think you'll regret it.

Anonymous

Hi new nurse. I have been an RN for almost 10 years. I also love psych nursing. I worked in a psych hospital with children and adolescents for awhile and loved it. I am planning to go back to school to get my Nurse Practitioner in behaviorl health and work with children and adolescents. Apply for as many psych positions as you can. Your experience as a cna will be helpful. Good luck in your career!!