Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Re: Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Anyone who is looking to become a nurse or is even considering it should really check out this site: http://www.nursingprograms.com/rn-registered-nurse. It has great articles and describes the different degrees you can get in the nursing field.

nurse in the US

I'm new in this forum, and I found it really interesting. I was looking for some info about becoming a nurse in the US, thanks for the link!

Christian
    Nursing Student

PA vs NP

I stumbled across this forum after a google search...and I must say I am astounded by all of the negative comments about PA's. But, it doesn't surprise me one bit either. I've been a PA for a several years now and wouldn't you know the one professional title that gives us the most difficulty is the RN/NP/LPN/BSN/MSN/ whatever other letters you can add to your names.
    The common goal for all of us is to treat/cure the patient. Obviously more of your time is spent worrying who is directing the patients care rather than carrying out your orders (obviously NP's write their own orders).

There is so much negativity on this site. To say PA's do not have a holistic approach is nonsense. True, we are trained in the medical model but please do not state that we don't have this or that included in our training. You have never attended PA school so how would you know? PA curriculum does involve psychosocial training as well as health education etc.

Most of you are quite misinformed how PA's and Physicians act as a TEAM. It is not how you describe it- "The physician tells the PA what to do". Many PA's see their own patients and have their charts reviewed by their supervising physician. There is quite a bit of autonomy being a PA. You just fail to realize it.

And the scrutinizing of the names "Physician Assistant" vs Nurse Practitioner....please! Don't you have anything else to offer than to pick apart a title?

A physician assistant is an integral part of health care. In most cases PA's work in underserved areas providing health care to the poor etc. That is what we are trained to do. Provide health care to those that have difficulty accessing our health care system. And if I'm not mistaken, NP's have been created to do the same thing.

Maybe if you are more open to all levels of health care all of this negativity would disappear. No one is better than the other. We all for the most part have the same intentions- to help people.

Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Your characterization is unfortunate.
    The term "Nurse Practitioner" is an oxymoron. Why do you think we get paid more and have more respect?
    Ask yourself this question...how does multiple months of "Nursing Theory" while in NP school prepare students for taking care of patients??

Hmmm...maybe we focus on patient care instead of "Nursing Theory" while we are training

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatePA View Post
    Your characterization is unfortunate.
    The term "Nurse Practitioner" is an oxymoron. Why do you think we get paid more and have more respect?
    Ask yourself this question...how does multiple months of "Nursing Theory" while in NP school prepare students for taking care of patients??

Hmmm...maybe we focus on patient care instead of "Nursing Theory" while we are training
    Wow. Can-o'-worms.

Seems like a lot of sour grapes by a few people on here. I ‘ve worked with and been treated by both NP’s and PA’s. There are both good and bad ones on both sides. Where I work we have a lot of PA’s and they keep my company a float. One is actually our holistic health coordinator.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Ricu

Re: PA vs NP

Quote Originally Posted by PACPROUD View Post
    I stumbled across this forum after a google search...and I must say I am astounded by all of the negative comments about PA's. But, it doesn't surprise me one bit either. I've been a PA for a several years now and wouldn't you know the one professional title that gives us the most difficulty is the RN/NP/LPN/BSN/MSN/ whatever other letters you can add to your names.
    The common goal for all of us is to treat/cure the patient. Obviously more of your time is spent worrying who is directing the patients care rather than carrying out your orders (obviously NP's write their own orders).

There is so much negativity on this site. To say PA's do not have a holistic approach is nonsense. True, we are trained in the medical model but please do not state that we don't have this or that included in our training. You have never attended PA school so how would you know? PA curriculum does involve psychosocial training as well as health education etc.

Most of you are quite misinformed how PA's and Physicians act as a TEAM. It is not how you describe it- "The physician tells the PA what to do". Many PA's see their own patients and have their charts reviewed by their supervising physician. There is quite a bit of autonomy being a PA. You just fail to realize it.

And the scrutinizing of the names "Physician Assistant" vs Nurse Practitioner....please! Don't you have anything else to offer than to pick apart a title?

A physician assistant is an integral part of health care. In most cases PA's work in underserved areas providing health care to the poor etc. That is what we are trained to do. Provide health care to those that have difficulty accessing our health care system. And if I'm not mistaken, NP's have been created to do the same thing.

Maybe if you are more open to all levels of health care all of this negativity would disappear. No one is better than the other. We all for the most part have the same intentions- to help people.

I like your style PAC and agree with everything you write. The last paragraph says it all.

Thanks

R

I am really honestly curious about the differences between a nurse practioner and a PA. Is there anyone who is able to give a SUBJECTIVE run-down of the two? Pro's and con's........would love to know but only if its subjective and not berating one or the other???

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgirl View Post
    I am really honestly curious about the differences between a nurse practioner and a PA. Is there anyone who is able to give a SUBJECTIVE run-down of the two? Pro's and con's........would love to know but only if its subjective and not berating one or the other???

To the best of my knowledge, both the NP and PA-C possess the ability to function as a primary care provider. Depending on individual state licensure, the NP may practice as an independent provider whereas, the PA-C must practice under the license of a physician. The educational requirements are similar in that both earn a master's degree and require license to practice. The NP must be an RN prior to enrolling into an AP program.

R

I've worked with a number of NPs and PAs all in ER settings, and I can say that there are good and bad in both professions, just like in nursing and medicine.

Specifically, I think its harder for NPs to practice in ER settings for this reason. As I understand it, ACNPs are licensed to practice on acutely ill adults. If they wish to be jointly licensed for adults and peds, they must sit for multiple boards. The only ERs I have seen use NPs were Adult specific ERs. PAs on the other hand are certified for all patient populations.

I have also worked with NPs that were part of trauma service teams- they responded to trauma cases in the ER and placed chest tubes, central lines, etc. We would call them for orders, etc, but again these were adult trauma teams (i also worked with excellent PAs on the same service).

The real difference between the two has to do with billing, does it not? An NP bills independently for 75% of their charts while PAs can only bill for about 20% (i could be wrong here, this is the last i heard). In addition, while many ERs use PAs, most of the time they won't allow PAs to see any interesting patients, they just get abcesses, lacs, etc. Not that the PAs aren't capable of dealing with more complicated patients, they just seem to get dumped on by the docs.

But the main point is I have seen NPs and PAs function clinically in very similar ways when it comes to acutely ill, hospitalized patients. By and large I usually like working with mid level providers.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast