Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Any pros or cons on PAs or Nps?

Re: Physician assistant or nurse practitioner

Yeah, it doesn't take as much education to become a PA and damned if they don't get paid more $$ and treated with more respect too.

Anonymous

Hey... We're nurse here.. I would recommend NP for several reasons. And I am all for the money that Sara is talking about but............ As an NP in many states you can have your own practice and I believe NP's are gaining recognition albeit slowly.. And with a good nursing background I believe they give superior care..JMFHO

WR,,, three commas for Becca

The name's changed but I will always be WinidingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

Well, as a nurse it was natural for me to choose NP over PA.
    I've asked docs about both. Some prefer PAs "they are trainged by DR and don't have to unlearn all of that nurse stuff" Others prefer NP as they have more training. I guess it's a personla preference for them too.
    However, I have a friend in an NP program, has a year left and he's already been offered 3 jobs by different docs who work in the ER where he's currently practicing.

Sorry, no definative answer!

I hate to be "inflammatory" - BUT - I am an educator who has worked with nurses at all levels of their educational journey. I have also worked with PAs. All one really has to do is look at the "titles": nurse PRACTITIONER and Physician ASSISTANT. That ought to tell you the difference right away.

I have never met a PA who, in all innocence, hasn't been given the "impression" (yes - very often by their university division) that they are "better than" NPs. After 20+ years of educating both, I have to tell you that NPs are hands-down-far-and-away more competent than 99% of the PAs who are out there today. In fact, some of the PA programs I have seen scare me to death. The general public has no CLUE what the difference is, nor how to protect themselves. To tell you the truth, the only PA I would trust is one of those "old guys" who was a medic in Viet Nam.

Anonymous

I agree with you. And those medics are getting old. I know I've dated a couple..But wait, that's another story,,, for another day.

Nursing is not only a science but an art. It's the art of taking care of someone when they can't or won't. It's being there when you are needed. That's what makes it an art. The science part is important but cold sometimes. And unyielding without "proof". Nursing is sometimes a gut feeling, a "I can't put my finger on it, I can't prove it, I just know it" process.

I read once, maybe here even, that PA's are just interns for life.. LOLL If that's the case why bother.

I met one of the most sauvy Nephrology NP's I ever encountered in NC on a travel assignment..And ya know what set her apart. It was her nursing skills and the fact that we spoke the same "language" and had the same goals for our patients. Yes, she "outranked" me by a "degree" but you'd never know it.

JMHO

Re: Nursing is not only a science but an art.

The difference between a nurse or NP - and a PA or even a physician - begins when the door to the examination room opens. By the time the nurse or NP covers the distance from the door to the patient, he or she is already well into their assessment. On the other hand, I would venture to guess that the PA (and even sometimes the physician) rarely looks up from the chart during a patient visit - and may be unable to even describe the patient within minutes after ending the visit. If I'm the patient - won't somebody PLEASE get me an NP??? LOL

I read once, maybe here even, that PA's are just interns for life.. LOLL If that's the case why bother.

Had to laugh on that one. SO TRUE!!! Unfortunately, many of them "secretly" believe they are physicians... and THAT is NOT a "good thing"...

Anonymous

I had to laugh when I was in NC. In a predominantly black area.. Don't slam me this is no racist. One day I was the only white person in the unit..And some of the tech were talking "trash" and I told a patient they don't think I understand but I do..LOLL

Now we did have several probably less than 10 out of 60 patients who are white. We sent one of them to the surgeon for a fistula placement.. I swear to God his first sentence on the H&P was.. "This Afro American male is well known to me"....How's that for assesment skills..

When I had 3 major vessels DVT the radiologist told the US tech that I did not have ANY clots.. Per radiograph. My leg of course was purple, positive Homan's ( although that is a ?able assessment) and swollen twice it's size, I was on a stretcher in the hallway listening to him argue with the tech..I yelled out how about looking at the clinical picture......

I love it when docs make their rounds and want to raise someone's dry weight on their present BP and the cuff ain't even on their arm...Sorry for the ain't part. I'm just a nurse..

I'll get down now..

When I was initially dx'd with hypertenison a PA put me on a calcium channel blocker...Had to tell him that's not the first line of defense....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I am a PA student and while doing some research I came across this and I am ASTOUNDED to read what you have to say about PAs. I would like to point out a few things about my profession that you may not realize-
    - PA's and NP's are trained in two different modes- PA's are trained in a MEDICAL model (that is, based on medical school) while NP's are trained in a NURSING model (that is, based on nursing school).
    - PA's are trained as generalists (we recieve training in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, peds, psych, etc etc) while NP's are trained to work in ONE special area.
    - Most PA's work in SURGERY, while most NP's work in FAMILY PRACTICE.
    - NP's do 200 hours of clinical work toward their degree (this info I got from a Columbia University NP student). I did more than 200 hours in my surgery rotation (enough said)
    - BOTH NP's and PA's are required to have clinical experience before entering programs (Most PA programs require 2000 hrs)

Of course I am pro-pa, but I definatly think that NPs have a place in medicine as well. As far as choosing one over the other, it really depends on what field you want to work in- I've yet to see an NP in the OR or ER, but that is mostly what I see in Family Practice and geriatrics.

I'm happy to continue the discussion if intelligent comments prevails.

Anonymous

#1 You are right.. But if I need doctoring I'll go to a doctor if I need nursing I'll go to a nurse.. nuff said there.
    #2 I suppose Adult Health isn't general enough.
    #3 I've used a PA for years. He's never wielded a knife..Thank God.
    #4 I suppose the years of OJT many NP's perform before NP school don't count.

P.S. When will you hang out your shingle??? Inquiring minds wanna know.

OPPPs late thought.. You have heard of RNFA's haven't you????

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast