Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work place violence

Work place violence

Has any body experienced work place violence?

In a unit I work in, a Doctor had attacked a male nurse.
    The doctor had arrived to the unit angry and "running his mouth" how nobody knows what they are doing. When actuary a family dr. sent a patient by car to the hospital with chest pain. The patient was having a MI. The doctor in this case is a cardiologist who was consulted. Any ways, a nurse walked up to the dr and said, " I guess this ones going to the cath lab. All at once the dr jumped from the chair, grabbed the nurse by the throat choking him. This action was in front of the patient and many visitors.

The nurse attempted to press charges. the prosecuting attorney wanted to wait till after the hospital held its investigation. NOTHING was done to the doctor (if it was a nurse we would be finding another job that day.). When the nurse pressed charges the prosecuting attorney would not take the dr to court. The nurse is currently attempting a civil case for monitory damages.

I was sitting next to the dr when all this took place. Any EXPERT advise for this nurse.

Re: Work place violence

Good Lord! I'm disgusted that the prosecuting attorney wouldn't pursue charges against the doctor in a case like that (but we all know how that goes.... money & position = power)..

I'm glad to hear the nurse has hired a lawyer & is pursuing a civil case. I assume the nurse's attorney will go after both the doctor AND the hospital?? I sure would.

Might also try to "nudge things" a wee tad by 'needing some paid comp time off for the emotional distress and stress" the incident caused, and I might even consider he write a formal letter to the DON and hospital administrator requesting a formal apology from the doctor as well as demanding to know what measures are being taken to provide for his on the job safety as long as that doctor is going to be allowed to continue to see patients in his work area?

If he has a good attorney I'm sure the possible ideas are almost endless in a situation like this and I hope they clean the doc and the hospital's clock for this one!

To answer your first question though....
    Yes, I once knew a pulmonologist (in a large hospital in Arkansas) who punched a respiratory therapist out in the hospital hallway. I believe they came to a civil settlement in that case. The doc continued practicing at the hospital and in fact is also the head of a prestigious state medical agency now as well. It just isn't right that docs skate when they do outrageous things such as these, so I sure hope your friend perseveres and prevails!

Do keep us posted ok?

I'm appaled that this has happened, AND that the authorities aren't handling this as a criminal case. That doctor definately is a threat to not only healthcare workers,but to the community at large. Do you mind listing the state or institution where the incident happened? Who can say that this doctor (and I use that term loosely) wouldn't do the same thing to a patient/customer?

man, I cannot even invision this happening. I mean, to inflict physical harm on someone like that, in this kind of setting...WOW.

But I'll tell you this, if that ever happens to me, there will be one very SORRY doctor getting seen in his own ER for a kicked ass

Doctors! SHEESH!

Angry Re: Work place violence

I think Doctors have no respect for nurses! and this story has cut the last straw..i think there should be a law about how doctors should compose themselves and not verbally and physically abuse nurses who are hardworking and compassionate.

generally doctors have ego's were us nurses are not to step to diagnosing a patient or assuming the next diagnostic test. well too bad, we are now a health care team and we get equal or even more stress from taking care of patients, if they put their silly ego aside they will be able to see how valuable we can be for them concerning patient care. "team work"??? some doctors greatly appreciate you covering their backs on certain over looked labs, medication not repeated from home, etc.

i think we will be working in an ideal set up if that ever happens, and see doctors loose privileges for offensive behavior at that hospital. Good Samaritan in San Jose is practicing that now. It's called the 1-2-3 and your out! :cool:

file a complaint with the attorney general of your state so they can forward it to the state boards so they can review it.

Member Extraordinaire

There was one surgeon my hospital hired that would throw things in the OR and berate nurses. He lasted about a year and got sent away. Sure doctors can be asses but the majority I work with do pay attention to what we say.

Hey epi how about an update on what's going on with this situation? PM me the doc's name too.... I wonder if I know him..

I forwarded this address to Laura Gasparis Vonfrolio, I don't know if anyone has heard of her but she is a public speaker for Nurses and I thought this would be a great case for her to look into.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Although I have never been assaulted or direspected by a Dr. or other co-worker I have been assaulted by patients on more than one occasion. Most recently in July when I was punched in the face knocked down and had my left leg stomped on. I was down for about a week. I work in a psych hospital and was encouraged to press charges but having seen that this usually dismissed due to patient's diminished capacity I declined.

I guess the nature of the place where I work keeps the Dr.'s nice to us - after all we are the ones who pull the patient's off them in a crises!

Psych nursing - not just a job it's an adventure!

hppy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast