Thread: CNA's giving morphine because RN asked them to,

Angry CNA's giving morphine because RN asked them to,

i have a friend who is a hospice CNA. she had a patient actively dying. The RN who is working with that patient asked my friend the CNA to give the patient a morphine pill every 2 hours if needed. she complied with the RN and gave the med. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years and almost fell off my chair when i heard she dispensed a medication without a license. i told her she should not have given that medication that it is not in her scope of practice. she was very angry with me and told me off and that she wasn't naive and she gave the medication with the RN's approval... i of course backed down but i know i was right. she is starting LPN school in august.. i am upset i lost a friend because of my big mouth. but i really was looking out for her and tried to tell her it was wrong. am i wrong? i need some advice. do you think she'll realize when she attends LPN school i could have been right? thank you for listening

Re: CNA's giving morphine because RN asked them to,

no, you're absolutely right. She should have known better, and the RN definately should have known better. Even if an RN tells you to do something, if you know that's not in your job description, you don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kt24
    no, you're absolutely right. She should have known better, and the RN definately should have known better. Even if an RN tells you to do something, if you know that's not in your job description, you don't do it.
    I totally agree with you kt24! It is not in the scope of practice of the CNA to administer medication regardless if the RN tells her to do so! Both the RN and the CNA are liable here. The CNA should have asked (double checked) with a supervisor or another nurse if she was not sure of her scope of practice.

Lightbulb Re: CNA's giving morphine because RN asked them to,

Quote Originally Posted by ohmeowzer
    i have a friend who is a hospice CNA. she had a patient actively dying. The RN who is working with that patient asked my friend the CNA to give the patient a morphine pill every 2 hours if needed. she complied with the RN and gave the med. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years and almost fell off my chair when i heard she dispensed a medication without a license. i told her she should not have given that medication that it is not in her scope of practice. she was very angry with me and told me off and that she wasn't naive and she gave the medication with the RN's approval... i of course backed down but i know i was right. she is starting LPN school in august.. i am upset i lost a friend because of my big mouth. but i really was looking out for her and tried to tell her it was wrong. am i wrong? i need some advice. do you think she'll realize when she attends LPN school i could have been right? thank you for listening
    I was just floored when I read your post. You were absolutely correct. I don't know how a RN could think having a CNA give oral morphine was good, safe and sound nursing judgement.

If this CNA is truly a friend she will come around and realize that you were only looking after her. If things do not blow over soon, once she has started LPN school I have a feeling she will come around.

Ricu

I understand that often healthcare providers become like family" when dealing with their longterm patients in the homecare setting. I wonder if this is what happened. Regardless, the RN committed malpractice when she asked the CNA to give ANY medication, especially narcotics and the CNA committed malpractice when she gave the drug. We should never compromise.

R