Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory BSN to practice nursing being considered

Anonymous

Re: Mandatory BSN to practice nursing being considered

I couldn't agree with you more..Especially when nurses join unions... When our individual voice is taken away from us it does bring down our profession.. And I believe enlightened BSN's won't join unions...JMHO...

Does your union require every nurse in the hospital to pay dues whether they want union representation or not?

Does your union require every nurse to go on strike even if they voted to NOT strike?

Inquiring minds want to know..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I believe BSN educated nurses will speak for themselves wonderfully.

Yes, I agree some BSN requirements(or BS/BA degrees for that matter) have some courses that weren't worth taking. I'd rather be doing practicums or hands-on training than taking more courses.

I came across this article that might explain the NY situation. I know this link may not explain everything but it's just interesting to read:

[url=http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Media/NewsReleases/2003AikenStudy]

I remember when i was a Jr. in highschool, my mom was going back for her BSN because in 5years all states were going to require it. I graduated highschool in 1978, and still on occasion hear...in 5 years all states are going to require, and thus far, just North Dakota requires a BSN.

Hey WR - direct you're anti-nurse union diatribe to the appropriate board. This is discussion about mandatory BSN. Additionally - as I stated in the other board - you are not qualified to even post comments on nursing unions.

This is one topic that no one will ever agree upon. Bottom line is, we all went into the nursing field for a lot of the same reasons and for a lot of different ones. Each of us who is licensed to write RN after our names took and passed the same state test. We entered the field of Nursing with what our state deemed to be the minimal knowledge needed to practice our profession safely.

I've always said, and will always say, that most of what I learned in and about nursing, I learned on the job after I graduated.

I'll put my 25 years as an ADN against any new BSN, any day of the week. There's book smarts, then there's street smarts. Who do you want taking care of your mother, your child, yourself?

I worked with the valedictorian of Radford University School of Nursing who crushed and crammed a Mycelex troche down a surgically placed dobbhoff.....and could relay countless "you'll-never-believe-this" stories from all walks of the medical profession, BSN, Diploma, ADN, LPN, RT, PT, and get this MD'S (nahhhhh....)

Long story short, I don't think it's where you START your nursing career that matters, I think it's all about the paths and journeys you take DURING your career.....

HemoStat

Anonymous

Like I said before ( which you apparently missed) when you own this board you make direct the content of my posts..

In the meantime...

I agree in the theory. It would not hurt the profession. But right now we have such a shortage that I hope a 4 year degree can keep up with the demands. I think only about 25% of the nurses have a BSN. Like can we afford to exclude the remaining nurses from practicing nursing? I am not sure that we have enough RN's with advanced degrees to even teach in the nursing programs geared for BSN's or the students interested in attending one. They better figure that out before they move forward with the plans. I mean they have to take into consideration if this is going to help the big picture. In light of the work that we do is it really necessary to have 4 years of education? I dont think so. I think it is beneficial in management and teaching positions. But clinically I think most RN's develop their skills and knowledge depending on which area they select. Take me for example, I have a 4 year degree. I have no experience and only limited knowledge about dialysis, I would see no reason for a company to hire me just because I have a degree over an ADN or a diploma nurse & I dont see how I could perform the job better than an ADN or a diploma nurse. If NY follows through with their plans, they will multiply their nursing shortage issues dont ya think?

Anonymous

Actually there are many who say we don't have a nursing shortage in the country. We have a shortage of nurses who are not practicing nursing. That is the problem according to them.

Whenever something is changed there will be "growing pains". And many times the result is not anticipated. Do seat belts save money?? Maybe in the short haul they do. We don't have people in wheelchairs. etc. But all those people who might have been killed in automobile accidents will use resources, oil, food, and at some point Medicare..So have seatbelts really saved the country money?? Think about it.

I believe there should be only one way to become an RN. I believe we should go for the highest level in that endevour. BSN. Yes, I am BSN educated and I was against getting that BSN but at the time I went to school it actually was the shorter way for me. As I would have had to wait 2 years to get back into and ADN upward LPN course. Yes, I was an LPN for 17 years.. The problem is that we have to start somewhere. Many nurses who go to ADN programs end up taking more than 2 years to complete their programs. Many take one or two courses at a time. Most instructors here in the East anyway have to have an MSN to teach in an ADN program anyway so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Yes, many BSN programs require Ph.D's.. But if all RN's had to be BSN educated then we would have half the battle to them being instructors..

The problem with lack of instructors is not advanced degree requirements but the piss poor pay.. To be truthful..Many instructors have to work staff jobs in order to put food on the table. That is shameful.. And a person with a Ph.D in nursing shouldn't have to work a part time job. Again pay people what they are worth and they will come to work for you.

As for dialysis we have technicians ( who by the way are wonderful needed and very very good) doing dialysis. A BSN is not a req to do dialysis.. A good RN is...

Most BSN's don't even make more money than ADN's so that won't be a problem.. I just think that we need to unite nurses not divide them

Heck I think we should have a National License too. Any nurse who took the old boards has enough experience now to work in any state and should be able to have a National License and the rest of us all took the same test.

Tho I will agree there are positions for the RN in general, the AND and the BSN that should not be filled by any other class of nurse. Administration is the quickest thing coming to mind, this should require BSN.
    That aside, there is need for more LPNs, no one here has mentioned LPNs. One does not need a BSN to staff a unit. LPNs and any assortment of RNs can and should be staffing units. Not solely nurses whose education has largely trained them for management (BSN).
    It is a waste of ever shrinking funds to overstaff a unit.
    No, an LPN right out of school can not handle the same pt load an experienced RN can. But give the LPN the experience and resourses and she/he can care for that pt load just as well as an RN can.
    Just because the state law says the LPN can not spike blood, does not mean the LPN does not completely understand the proccess of who/what/when/where/why it is hung and what the expected outcome is, what to do if reaction, etc. So, why pay an RN to do it? Seems like a horrible waste of money to me.

Anonymous

It is a myth that only BSN prepared nurse are trained for Management. I took one 2 credit course. Hardly adequate to be in management.

I was an LPN for 17 years so I have no problem with them. The problem lies when an LPN has 6-8 patients and the RN has 6-8 patients and the RN is ultimately responsible for all 12-16. And it was a pain in the arse when I had to bug an RN to do something for me that I couldn't do. It's nice when every one can to evey thing.. Yes, I know utopia.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast