Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory BSN to practice nursing being considered

Mandatory BSN to practice nursing being considered

Surely some of you have heard that New York is considering making a BSN degree mandatory in order to practice in that state. Given the nursing shortage and shortage of RN grads of any type what do you think about their plans?

"They care for us when we're sick and injured... Just how much schooling should a registered nurse have to keep his or her certification? New York State is now thinking about requiring that R.N.’s earn a Bachelor's degree...."
    Full article: http://medi-smart.com/topnews3.htm

What do you think about this?

Re: Mandatory BSN to practice nursing being considered

yes, I was speaking with the President of NAPNES and she told me about this...

It is, in my opinion STUPID given the current situation.

Member Extraordinaire

I hadn't heard about New York but have heard that story before from other states or hospitals. I don't think it can/will happen. I have a BSN but at my hospital I get nothing at all extra for it. There are many great nurses that have diplomas or ADN. The BSN gives you some extra school and clinical time (not even that much clinical time now with all the online learning) but the extra experience of working is what makes the good nurse. I know somoene that went right from highschool (never worked at even McD's) got there MSN and was hired as nurse manager of a unit...24 yrs old with no experience other than school how is that person going to manage let alone function. They put in how many caths, started how many IV's, gave how many shots and actually had how much total care of any patient going straight through school? I think the powers that be just want to make more rules.
    See someone asks a question and I get to running on

I grad from a diploma program. Most BS programs in my area do not give near as much clinical training as the diploma program I went through. What are they going to do with the diploma nurses that have worked for 10 years. You mean if I retire in 9 years I still have to go back to school to keep my career and profession. I teach new grad BS degree nurses. I hope they have a grandfather clause to this new law to take in consideration experience.

why is it that both of you got it right, on the first try. What are the odds that 100% of the replies so far (only 2) can get it right so easily, but the powers that be put their heads together and come up with something so ludicris?

Member Extraordinaire

it's the same with all powers that be in all situations I think. They spend more time trying to come up with ways to build a better wheel.

Sara,

I'll actually keep my opinion to myself on this one....but must tell you they were saying that they were going to do this nationwide when I was in school....I graduated in 1977!!

Anonymous

Yep this has been around for years. They either need to pi** or get off the pot on this one..YAWN..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

The name's changed but I will always be WindingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

HI WR , I'm glad to see you back! Hey, the FCC isn't breathing down our necks here to the best of my knowledge (yet) so I think we can say the actual word still....

p*ss.. = piss! There, I said it!
    *Waits for lightning to strike her*

Anonymous

BAM.... )))

WR,,, three commas for Becca

P.S. That's my best imitation of lightening striking..LOL

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast