Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online ACLS certification- opinions?

Re: Online ACLS certification- opinions?

I have read this thread and are wondering where you are getting your info from? The American Heart Association has had a computerized Certification AND re-certification program for several years now. You take the first part on your computer and you perform the HANDS ON part on either a VAM or with a AHA ACLS INSTRUCTOR. Then and only then do you receive your AHA wallet card. It's called HeartCode ACLS. Don't be spreading rumours. The truth is that this method is HARDER and a lot less forgiving then the traditional "watch a video and walk along with 20 other people perform cpr on a sponge manikin!" class that you guys say are the "right" way to do it. You can't fool a computerized manikin, it's either right or wrong, not mearly "good enough". If you have never heard of this program than the training center you are going to isn't telling you everything. Go to www.cardiocert.com and click on About eLearning and see what THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION SAYS ABOUT IT!!!

The truth is a fact, not an opionion....

I haven't done only either. Thanks for site. Will check it out.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

I've renewed ACLS online before. I didn't find it all problematic. Once you've learned the skills I see no reason why renewing it every two years online would be a problem. The only thing new is "updates" that you have to keep track of. An ACLS course - a 16 hour course - isn't really the venue to learn EKG interpretation, ET intubation, or other preocedures anyway. I'll be renewing mine online this year.

Red face Re: Online ACLS certification- opinions?

The courses I've seen offered online still required an in person checkoff of skills before getting the card. I didn't know there were some where you didn't have to do a skills checkoff. Interesting.

That is not an "online certification." An online certification is simply that, a course that leads to certification without any hands on skill test. The AHA does not even consider Heartcode an online course, they consider it "blended learning." Blended learning means a CD-ROM for cognitive (even that is not "online") followed with a skills test. And that's the facts, Jack! I have been an AHA instructor for BCLS and ACLS for more than a decade and have currec instructor status. I know the "truth."

Quite frankly, doing the course "online" offered the same cognitive information and was much easier for a seasoned professional to recertify with. I used two different sites, the last being Online ACLS and PALS Courses which was the one I preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by ahatruth View Post
    I have read this thread and are wondering where you are getting your info from? The American Heart Association has had a computerized Certification AND re-certification program for several years now. You take the first part on your computer and you perform the HANDS ON part on either a VAM or with a AHA ACLS INSTRUCTOR. Then and only then do you receive your AHA wallet card. It's called HeartCode ACLS. Don't be spreading rumours. The truth is that this method is HARDER and a lot less forgiving then the traditional "watch a video and walk along with 20 other people perform cpr on a sponge manikin!" class that you guys say are the "right" way to do it. You can't fool a computerized manikin, it's either right or wrong, not mearly "good enough". If you have never heard of this program than the training center you are going to isn't telling you everything. Go to www.cardiocert.com and click on About eLearning and see what THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION SAYS ABOUT IT!!!

The truth is a fact, not an opionion....

When I renewed my ACLS last month, a lady came in to do her hands on after she had done the part online.

Since you can not do all online, I much rather do all in a class setting.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

I think for experienced clinicians who have previously been on site certified and frequently use ACLS in their practice (ER MD an RN, ICU, Anesthesia etc.) on line recertification is a great option. After all people are getting graduate degrees online

I am an American Heart Association instructor, and I must say that AHA has taken the proper measures in offering the online ACLS option, it still requires an instructor checkoff. However, in the ideal world a student would attend the class in person rather than online. Furthermore, with regard to experienced providers vs initial acls participants, the AHA has designated ACLS-EP, which is the renewal courses for the experienced provider.

ACLS-EP
    ACLS-EP

Heartcode ACLS
    HeartCode ACLS
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Thanks for your reply. I have found out my hospital accepts online re certification and ACLS Recertification Services appears to give a good review. I average one code for each of my calls and have intubated 15000 patients so this is a great alternative.

When I was in Paramedic school, we had to do a surgical rotation to get the proper intubation experience required to take the NREMT-P exam. I remember being so nervous on my first intubation, and now it comes naturally. Practice does make perfect.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast