Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online ACLS certification- opinions?

Online ACLS certification- opinions?

There's a web site that's offering ACLS recertification online. Think about that.... no hands on stations, nobody to check that the person does things right... just do the multiple choice test part online & get a certification card.

I wouldn't want a person who did it that way intubating me! What do you guys think about it? Would you rather the person working beside you in the ER (or in ICU) actually demonstrated he/she had the knowledge and the skills or would you feel good about them doing it that way?

Re: Online ACLS certification- opinions?

I was looking for some ACLS instructor materials recommended by the AHA. There was a computer program where you could test at home. I DONT THINK SO. I was glad to see the format change to a teaching format vs. scare the pants off you format. We still need that one on one interaction that we can learn from. Also, some people may have some one else do it for them. AHHH Think there may be a dishonest nurse out there.

I think ACLS and PALS computer programs that help you learn to manage patient scenarios and teach you how to read ecg's and learn the algorhythms and drug protocols are great- not just because I offer them on Medi-Smart... but one that lets you do the test at home?? No way do I want a doctor or nurse who got certified that way working on me!

I guess they can do it cos it's not considered certification...it's just passing the class.

I have taken on site ACLS since 1986??? How many years does it take to to know what you are suppose to do it's only the new info you need to worry about. And I passed it each time.
    I also have taken the BLS each time too??? Yup I can do my compression the right way!!! Anyway that is my 2 bits!!!

Who care's, if you work in a "busy" er it doesnt matter where you buy your acls recertification, if you find online certification inapropriate, then i suggest you get a job in a bigger er where als is a repetitive thing, and after your third code med in one night you will be saying to yourself the hell with this, and by golly i dont intubate anyway, remember your a nurse not physician, and when you do get to intubate its purely for pleasure because the md has a worse attitude than you do.

I think online re-certification is okay....I did it with PALS. I work in a busy ER, in the trauma room, and it's okay to refresh your memory on the computer. If you ever work on the emergency radio base (MICN) it's all from memory anyway...so you have to commit the stuff to memory no matter what. I haven't intubated a patient yet - docs won't let you close.

I don't think they will let you do ACLS online for the first time, will they?

Where is this website? Anyone got a link? Is it free? I need a recert and my institution wont pay. I have been taking it as well since 1986, as far as I know, the "hands on" is still done the same way. My 2 cents too.

I think it is fine for recerts. I have been taking ACLS for 10 years and work in ER's all over the US. I know what I am doing and sitting in a class for 6 or more hours doesn't make me any better. But most hospitals do not accept the one line recerts. Everyone needs to take the class once but after that its all the same.

I've been ACLS/PALS certified for nearly twenty years and obviously, long before the internet, had to sit all weekend to renew every to two years. What a pain. A few years ago I decided to take an online course. I had my nurse manager look it over first. The course was pretty thorough but I was stuck on the stupid computer for hours trying to complete it. The entire thing had to be done sitting there. Not much better than going to class (other than not having to shower and dress ) This year I tried a different site, www.cprtrainingfast.com and it was much better. I printed the prep materials, printed the test and worked on it between patients. The ONLY thing i had to do on the computer was punch in my answers which only took me a couple minutes. I got my card that same day, too. The card looks like any other ACLS card and doesn't say anything about being "onliine." Was a little worried my manager wouldnt accept the card but to my surprise, she had taken her renewal course with the same company!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast