Thread: Nursing school question?

Nursing school question?

I am 30 years old and am all of a sudden realizing that I really want to follow my life long dream and become a nurse. I am just trying to get some information on the difference w/RN's and LVN's. If I went to school part-time ,because I work fulltime, how long of schooling does it take? Also is the pay difference betwwen the two a big difference? Thanks for any info you can give me on nursing school. :grin:

Re: Nursing school question?

There are loads of programs out there. No matter which way you go (2-4yr. degree) I suggest you get all your prereq. courses out of the way first. I think you can work and complete school as long as there is weekend work available for you and your employer will work with you. Check with some hospitals in your area to inquire about nurse extern programs. They will pay your way through school but you will owe them some time afterwards. There are scholarships and money out there for you but you have to inquire. The best place to start is with the hospital where you might want to work and then the local community college. Surf the net, too. I'll e-mail you if I run into anything. There is no shame in starting with your LVN or LPN as I know it. Just make sure there are jobs for you if you take your LVN first. In some areas that degree is being phased out. I would suggest going to a 2yr. program ADN. Then as soon as you have a year or two under your belt or sooner, get thee back to get your BSN. There are some great "On-line" programs and RN to BSN at your local university. Good Luck!

Re: Nursing school question?

I went to a 15 month LPN program and right now am going for RN. Here in Ct, there are many job opportunities for LPN's, but as someone already stated, make sure that where you live that there are jobs. I am working in LTCF and I make $2 less an hr than an RN.......but in an acute setting the pay difference is more. So, it depends on where one is working. A close friend of mine is working on medical unit in the hosp and I am making more than her. I have found that LTCF do pay more than hospitals. I am also doing some work for a "pool" which pays more but usually no benefits.
    Either way that you choose to become a nurse is your choice. I know some that have been lpn's for over 20 yrs and are completely content. The reason that I am going on is because there are more opportunities out there for RN's and I'm not quite sure where I want to settle(if anywhere).
    Good luck with your schooling,

JULES