Thread: are there opportunities for LPNs/LVNs outside of Senior Homes?-please help

are there opportunities for LPNs/LVNs outside of Senior Homes?-please help

Hi all! Great to be here.... I was hoping I could get some advice!

I have thought long and hard about a career choice, and I have found that college is not for me anymore. I want to help people, learn a skill, and use that skill. I am very well acquainted with medical field because I grew up with many health problems. I wanted to be an actual MD at one point in my life.

Of course, that's far fetched for some...including me.... so I decided to become an LPN. It's a one year course and that's perfect for me...

I'm just a bit unnerved about working in a long term care facility - In fact, I don't want anything to do with a LTC because LPNs employed at LTCs are responsibile for suppositories, enemas, among other things that deal with bowel movements....

I was hoping to aim for a physician's office. The LPN at my family doctor's office is likea great friend - she has always been there for me and I always admired her for what she did - and she doesn't have to give anyone an enema!

So my big question is this - Are job prospects favorable for doctor's offices, or am I at a total loss? I have been researching education, college, careers, technical and trade, and LPN seems like it's best for me. I am just taken aback by all the horror stories of enemas and suppositories.

Smile Re: are there opportunities for LPNs/LVNs outside of Senior Homes?-please help

I know at my hospital we have hired several LPNs recently, a couple straight out of school. I have found most of the LPNs I have worked with to be highly skilled and knowledgeable. Most of the hospitals in my area hire LPNs without a second thought. The main issue I have seen with LPNs is the lack of opportunity for job advancement. Personally I have been a charge nurse before and it is not my cup of tea. For those that are interested in management they end of back in school getting their RN.