Thread: patient rights

patient rights

my doctor couldn't fit me for contacts so i went in and told him i wanted a refund and he's incompetent.
    1. he yelled at me
    2. he falsely accused me of threatening him (because i called him incompetent - i had a witness with me - thank God)
    3. he said he was on the board of "so and so" and if i cross them they'll come after me
    i then told him I'M THE PATIENT.
    he then said he would refund my money but his staff won't let him.
    from the 3 things i listed above i felt intimadated like - if you complain about me i'll twist things around and make you the "bad guy".
    is this not patient abuse? have my rights been violated?
    i filed a complaint with the attorney general.

Re: patient rights

I think his behavior was totally unacceptable. To start with, does he work for a chain or is he an independent optometrist/ opthamologist? Is there someone that he has to report to? If so I would issue a complaint there and with the medical board. I would also issue a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your area. People have to remember this is a consumer driven society. I would go ahead and file the complaint now. I am now sure if there is a time limit on filing your complaint.

IMHO, you put him on the defensive by telling him he is incompetant. Yes, you were very frustrated and deserved better care regards to acceptable eye contact wear. Maybe he should have offered you a refund, or at least a referral to another eye doc.

What was his explanation for inability to provide you with proper eye contact wear?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5
    IMHO, you put him on the defensive by telling him he is incompetant. Yes, you were very frustrated and deserved better care regards to acceptable eye contact wear. Maybe he should have offered you a refund, or at least a referral to another eye doc.

What was his explanation for inability to provide you with proper eye contact wear?

so if a patient tells me i'm an incompetent nurse i should yell at them, falsely accuse them of threatening me, then tell them i work for so and so and if you cross them they'll go after you.
    ????????

Wink Re: patient rights

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh
    so if a patient tells me i'm an incompetent nurse i should yell at them, falsely accuse them of threatening me, then tell them i work for so and so and if you cross them they'll go after you.
    ????????
    Originally Posted by MagRedC5

-------------------
    First of all, I'd suggest you re-read my original reply.

Second, don't reply until you have calmed down. Of course, no one should yell at anyone, or threaten anyone, especially a patient. Did I imply such...of course not!

Third, now answer my original question, please.

Okay, I hope you can reply with in mind I'm not against you here.

the last time i saw him he said - if these don't work then i can't fit you. he refused to try gas permeable. he's just a puke who doens't want to work. i'm going to try the new kind where you sleep in them and your eyes are then focused for the next day without lenses. i'm going to an opthamologist at the local clinic. those lenses are 250 a pair and the exam is 150 i think. it just makes me mad that a licensed health care provider would behave this way. i thought people went into health care to help people not bully them. i have astigmatism which is difficult to fit.

the last time i saw him he said - if these don't work then i can't fit you. he refused to try gas permeable. he's just a puke who doens't want to work. i'm going to try the new kind where you sleep in them and your eyes are then focused for the next day without lenses. i'm going to an opthamologist at the local clinic. those lenses are 250 a pair and the exam is 150 i think. it just makes me mad that a licensed health care provider would behave this way. i thought people went into health care to help people not bully them. i have astigmatism which is difficult to fit.
    Good luck on your quest for the correct contact eyewear fit. IMHO, not all MDs [all types, i.e. specialties] are in the business for the right reasons. Glad to read your moving on & leaving this one behind.

I have astigmatism as well. I tried to wear the gas permeable contacts and they were awful. You can get a monthly extended wear lens - a toric one. I also buy all of my contacts online and I get great service and save big bucks.
    Check out this site: www.1-save-on-lens.com (1-888-208-7013)

Once I got a bum batch of contacts. I wear Toric Visitint Focus monthly lens by CibaVision. They replaced my contacts, no questions asked. Since then I have always purchased my contacts from them.

through the attorney general i got a full refund. the name of the tread is patient rights - i strongly urge anybody who has not been treated with respect to contact the attorney general. it is your right as a patient to be treated respectfully. any type of abuse including verbal or emotional should not be tolerated from a licensed health care provider. that's why they make the big bucks. it is a privilage to have a health care license not a right. as a psychiatric nurse i deal with patients who don't behave "normal" or may be considered "difficult". but that does not give me or anyone else caring for these patients the right to harm them in any way. if one is not able to care for patients without harming them then it is time for them to find another job.