Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos in the work place

Re: Tattoos in the work place

I have decided to not worry about my tattoo. If management does not like it they should not have hired me 13 years ago. It is not nice to change the rules of the game in the middle of the game.

Fashion trends change continually, and the dress code should change accordingly. I see nothing wrong with exposing tattoos that are on the arms or legs, or anywhere decent. I would rather see the tattoo than worry what horrible infection is under that dressing, if I were a patient.

Well, I don't believe long nails are appropraite in the healthcare setting, but that's just my opinion.

As far as tattoos go, I don't have any, and never will, but all of my friends do. Sadly, people judge others because of tattoos and other things. Things that they might have done like you said 30 years ago.

It doesn't matter if it was 30 years ago, or 30 minutes ago, your decision to get permanent ink on your body, while inappropriate in the eyes of some, has ZERO bearing on your job performance. Sure, you may have doctors, coworkers, or patients who look down upon you for having a tattoo, but if they are around you very long, and you are good at what you do, your tattoo won't matter one damn bit.

The thing about tattoos and professional appearance is that you CAN'T JUST TAKE THEM OFF. Once you get a tattoo, it becomes a part of your body, and I think the administration needs to address it that way.

THANK YOU

I once worked with a surgical resident who had an eye tattooed on the back of her neck.... called it her evil eye. Poor taste, maybe, but it didn't prevent her from being a good surgeon.

I agree. I have had a tattoo on my hand (of a rose & vine) for some time. The first of this month we have a new dress code which states "all visable tattoos must be covered". If a wear a glove at all times it would prevent hand washing (or at least glove washing) and exam gloves are to only be worn at the bedside. My tattoo has never prevented me from provding care to my pts. I feel there should have to be a grandfather clause to the new policy. Also several nurses have their makeup tattooed on..is this not a visable tattoo and should it not also have to follow the same policy. Don't know how one can work with their eyes covered. I guess pt care is no longer a top priority.

Yes, shouldn't patient care be the first priority? By making people who have tattoos feel uncomfortable about working in the healthcare setting it is only making the nursing shortage worse. Many smart, caring and competent people will look at nursing as too conservative. ****o, it is 2005! Why are people so freaked out about a picture on someone's body? It has no bearing on how I/you/we take care of our patients. Once it is permanent it is part of one's body. Nursing is supposed to be a non-judgemental profession yet people are being judged for this. Ridiculous.

Talking Re: Tattoos in the work place

If we start looking down on nurses with tattoos, what will we do with nurses with tribal marks, head dresses, braids, e.t.c. I can go on and on. Institutions need to recognize that the generation-Xers are now in the healthcare workforce. Tattoos are the least of our problems. We should be worried about poor pay, discrimination, nurse abuse e.t.c...................

Why deal with the real issues that would improve patient care, working conditions and quality outcomes?

Let's keep dwelling on the minor issues as distractions to keep any real progress from happening. Administrations and powerplayers in healthcare have been doing it for years to keep us bickering among ourselves.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Administrators love stuff like this. If there weren't any issues like this to deal with, the Administrators might have a harder time justifying why they make so much money. Nursing? pfffft, that's not a priority in a hospital.

What is best for the nurses and their patients is really secondary to having contstant drama for the admins to take care of.

If nurses would all join together, it would be a whole lot easier to get things done the way we want them done!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast