Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos in the work place

Thumbs up Re: Tattoos in the work place

I agree with a lot of you, and registered at this forum simply to say Bravo. As someone that has multiple tattoos, some of which are visible, but none of which can be found offensive except by the most close minded of people, I've been discriminated against both in the hiring process, and in the workplace in general although I can't prove the reason. I absolutely agree that a tattoo, while voluntary, is a part of the body, and must be treated as such. I may not be a member of the nursing profession but I've been a patient as we all have at some time or another, and I would absolutely rather see a tattoo on my nurse's skin than her(or his) thong hanging out, or ragged chewed nails:nurse-beer:.

Wink Re: Tattoos in the work place

greetings all,
    as the one before me, ltfuzzy, i too joined this site just to comment on this thread and will be doing research on this topic in hopes of figuring out how this can be changed. if anyone has any suggestions let me know. i just got my license and will be starting the job search soon and though i anticipate some obstacles i'm gonna try to stay in the positive space and not write the script. hopefully i will have an interview with someone that will look at my school record and practical life experience and know that they have a jewel in their hands. .........peace........

Re: Tattoos in the work place

My workplace has no prob with my tattoos. Then again, I dont necessarily have any swastikas or anything like that either.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

It amazes me when I see our young Soldier medic students with numerous tatts. IMHO, everything should be done in moderation.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

i agree soldiernurse, everything in moderation......like nails and jewelry, etc........i just want to see people judged on their mind and abilities. and i totally agree with dressing for the profession you are in as well, and i always dress accordingly but i have one tattoo that shows (on the wrist) and that has fluffed some feathers in the past. i have the ability to see and even understand many pov on subjects but that doesn't mean i agree with them. i just think that we need to spend more time looking at people's hearts and abilities rather than if they have tattoos or not. it just seems such a waste of time and effort to pass judgement on an individual just because they have tattoos. now if they are dirty looking and wearing crappy clothes, then yes, that says something about the person but to me, tattoos are a story, an outward story of a persons life and experiences and i for one find it fascinating to hear the stories behind tattoos. it's been my experience as well to have clients/patients ask about them and then be intrigued by the stories which in turn can help 1. them make a connection to you based on similar experiences, 2. it opens up communications and 3. it can be a distractor to the situtation at hand (taking vitals, cath insertion, etc). i can use it to my advantage and to the patients advantage. makes us both more comfortable in most cases. that's what i wish administrators would see.
    *jumping off the soap box* thank you , thank you very much.............
    peace............aaminah

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/amy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]I'm a transplant nurse at a pretty prestigious hospital here in VA, and i actually got my tattoo after I got hired....we have NO tattoo policy here, much to my suprise! Actually, my boss loves it and my patients do too (only had one negative comment in a year....from a retired marine, so I let it slide, lol). I see it this way....I'm a good nurse if I'm a good nurse, my tattoo is not offensive, and it doesn't make me any less of a good caregiver, so what does it matter? I mean, I don't think people should be allowed to put swastikas or anything on their arms, but I have a Michelangelo painting on my forearm for pete's sake....it really is art, lol.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/amy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Tattoos in the work place

Quote Originally Posted by fabred81 View Post
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/amy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]I'm a transplant nurse at a pretty prestigious hospital here in VA, and i actually got my tattoo after I got hired....we have NO tattoo policy here, much to my suprise! Actually, my boss loves it and my patients do too (only had one negative comment in a year....from a retired marine, so I let it slide, lol). I see it this way....I'm a good nurse if I'm a good nurse, my tattoo is not offensive, and it doesn't make me any less of a good caregiver, so what does it matter? I mean, I don't think people should be allowed to put swastikas or anything on their arms, but I have a Michelangelo painting on my forearm for pete's sake....it really is art, lol.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/amy/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    I actually think your tat is pretty cool. I don't care to tattoo myself but to each his own. Again if you are a good nurse then it really shouldn't matter. I just believe that if a facility has a clear policy then one should abide by it. Nursing is pretty recession proof but in this econoy anyone who has a job probably shouldn't make waves.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Here are my tatts: MySpace | Login

They give me no problem. Every one can be covered with scrubs.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quite a few at work heve 'em, and they are to be covered up. However, there are a few with ink on the neck. :rolleyes:

BTW, a bandage looks kinda obvious.

I made very sure that with each of my tattoo's, specifically the ones on the arm; that I brought in a scrub top with me to ensure they are covered up. No one at work really knows I have tatts, other than a few people.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast