Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tattoos in the work place

Re: Tattoos in the work place

Hi all! While I do not YET have a tattoo, I will be getting one where no one can see it. I'm a paramedic (wanna be a RN when I grow up...lol) and where I work, they have very strict rules for tats being covered by long sleeves or tat sleeves. I do agree with some posts that this should have been taken care of at the interview level, instead of making a big deal out of it later on. I also feel that tattoos are part of a person and their personality. Would I have to cover up a mole or birthmark? No. But yet that is a part of my skin....Hmmm....And remember, both tats and moles/birthmarks can be removed (to a point) and yet institutions are not making people go to that extreme. Why should they with tattoos? If it is within reason of good taste, by all means, show us your personality, just as you would your hairstyle or jewelry. As far as nails go...I've had acrylic nails for as long as I can remember and function better WITH them, especially advancing IV catheters in a moving vehicle. Also, I had crushed my finger in a door last year and the PA that stitched me up said had it not been for the nails, my finger would have been avulsed. Instead, he removed the nail, 2 stitches in the nailbed and 2 more to hold the nail (acrylic and all) in place for a week.
    Let management find bigger, better things to worry about, not try to make people feel like second class citizens for having a tattoo.
    Be safe all!

EMTGrrl,
    The Army use to be strict regards to tattoos. However, the policy changed drastically a few years back d/t max troop deployments to the Middle East. Enlistments started to decline drastically and recruiters were turning young men & women away for such a petty reason as tattoos. So, even though a Soldier may have some huge ugly neck tattoo, it's allowed with a few exceptions such as profanity, gang tatts, etc.

So, my point being with the nursing shortage and increased popularity of tattoos some schools & hospitals will have to revise their tattoo policy.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Slightly :offtopic:----how many WW2 vets have tattoos? IMO, that is a good enough reason. Have seen many a Marine and Navy guy with 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Slightly :offtopic:----how many WW2 vets have tattoos? IMO, that is a good enough reason. Have seen many a Marine and Navy guy with 'em.
    I'd bet WW2 Vets don't have tatts on their neck, or covering their entire arm. However, the lateral aspect of the upper arm or on the forearm is the older veteran norm.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I am sure customs change. I am heading for neutral territory from now on, so....consider that fair warning.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Cant trust those Marine and Navy guys at all. I just keep getting more tattoos. Most are not controversial, though some might be seen as that way. BTW I was a Corpsman, I can talk.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456