Thread: Want to become a Traveler

Want to become a Traveler

Hello everyone. This is a great site! and I've been reading the posts whenever I get the chance (too much overtime). I've got a few questions if someone has time to help....

My wife and I want to become Nurse Travelers. (Children have all left the nest.) She is currently in LPN school (one semester to go!) and plans to work part-time after bridging into a RN program. When she becomes a RN I plan to quit work and go back to school myself.

Right now I am undecided - nursing or radiography? I am leaning towards radiography (MRI & CT) because of the technical aspects but am unsure if there is a need for traveling radiographers? The company that I presently work for has sent me to EMT-Basic and I am a newly state certified EMT-B. (Unfortunately, with all the overtime I'm having to pull at work I don't get very many opportunities to volunteer with the rescue unit in town.) When I do get to function as an EMT I really enjoy it - so maybe I'd like nursing in the ER?

Any replys and comments would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm also a former Marine. 13 years OOHRAH!

Re: Want to become a Traveler

OOHRAH Marine, Yes there are traveling radiography techs. In many different fields. Radiology does pay quite well. you may also consider in radiology Special procedure labs and cardiac cath labs. Both travel and pay well. It is all what you want. If you like combat, ER is a great place to work. If you want to travel in Nursing you should work some critical care so you can have a better selection of assignments. When you start RN school work in a hospital as an aid in er or critical care so you can see what different allied areas of the hospital do. Talk to nurses and x-ray techs to get an idea before you spend all the time and hard work becoming a nurse. any ways you will always have a job that pays well.

Do or die Marine

Anonymous

That other Marine..Semper Fi has some good ideas and I'd like to throw out one of my own... Hemodialysis.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Go all the way to NP and be their primary contact if you like..

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

Ya know dontcha that the first sentency was tongue in cheek exept the Semper Fi.. Because many wouldn't...

Personally, I would love to be a traveler nurse. Now if my wife would only get rid of me. I would give her everything, take my clothes, my golf clubs and go. Travel, Work, Golf. Sounds some kind of wonderful.

hey there guys, travel nurse here and LOVE it. you meet so many people and make friends all over the place. i would like to recommend an agency if you all dont mind. i have used them over and over and have found them to be awesome, up front and honest. i have used ones in the past that make is sound soooo good but then when i got my check there was added things taken out of my pay and never was mentioned, then fought to get the houseing deposit back, etc,,,it was terrible and would never use them,,,,,,,,,sooo, i have kept with the one that is honest with me all the time,,,, go to Home and let them know that i sent you (mark m) good luck, maybe we will run into each other out there. hit me back if u all have questions

One drawback to the Radiology route is the lack of advanced degrees and thus advancement in the field. If this is not an issue for you, I have always thought it fascinating. I'm an RN and am about to start traveling after four years of experience in ICU. I also plan to start a Nurse Prac program next Fall.

I have seen some agencies that offered travel to fields other than nursing, but haven't paid that much attention to which fields or which agencies. One problem in traveling for your wife is that most agencies and hospitals require one to three years of experience.

One question I have of you because I was thinking of it for myself: are you thinking of traveling in an RV? This sounds like great fun to me. You would have the advantage, if it all works out, of having two incomes and two living expense stipends.

Best of luck to you and thanks for serving!
    Tex

hey tazz what agency do you travel with