Thread: Can I request for a different housing?

Can I request for a different housing?

I'm a traveller and my family travels with me. I have two kids and a pregnant wife. I was assigned to this very remote area here in CA (in fact the hospital where i'll be working is the only hospital in the whole county). My problem is the town where my housing is (its a different town) is too small and secluded, and the school where my daughter is supposed to go (4th grade) is so primitive and looks like ready to give in. I have requested for a different housing from my agency but they wont budge because they already paid for it. Fortunately I haven't signed the contract yet. What do you think? Should I give in? I don't want my family to endure for the next 13 weeks in a supposedly easy assignment. Help!

Re: Can I request for a different housing?

The good thing is that you haven't signed the contract. Tell them that you insist on the appropriate housing, or you will not be signing the contract.

Any decent company will want you to be happy with your travel destination and housing!

I agree with AzNurse67! I have been traveling for 2 years, and I also travel with my family. My agency knows this, and tries hard to get us a nice place that we will be comfortable in. When I first came to Philly, they put me in a place that was small and in a bad neighborhood. I called my agency, and they put us up in a hotel, while they found a better place for us. I think most agencies want to keep their nurses happy! Always remember, YOU are the one working and making money for them! Demand a safe area you and your family will be comfortable in!

May I ask, what company you are having problems with? I just want to know so I won't ever sign with them!

I work for a great company and I am so glad! They pay 100% of my 2 bedroom completely furnished apt, plus 100% of my utillity bills, they even pay for my cable! After reading some of the posts on here, I realize how fortunate I am!

Good Luck!

Your company may be trying to make you think they have paid for the housing, A smart travel company will not pay for housing until you have signed the contract. You are not bound find a new company.