Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what did you use to pass nclex rn????

Anonymous

Re: what did you use to pass nclex rn????

Then I guess the matter is closed.. Thanks..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

It IS soooooooooooo easy to misjudge someone here and there isn't it?

Don't bother with the Kaplan review class. It sucks! It didn't help me in the least. I got my money back after taking it not only due to the fact that I didn't pass my first time, but I just think Kaplan doesn't help. The way I am preparing for taking it this second time is to go through my Saunders review book and answering all the question. Saunders is the most like the NCLEX because they break the questions into the same sections as the NCLEX does. Make sure you have your medical dictionary and med book handy when you answering questions that way you can look up words and drugs you don't know even though you won't have them with you during the test it helps you memorize and reclal things better. My advice is just to answer answer and answer questions. Also remember to read the rationale for why the answer is the right answer. Oh and don't forget about doing the CDs that come with the books because when you answer them with a pencil in the book when you get to the computer it's different. Do BOTH!

I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you did!

[ QUOTE ]
    WanderingRN said:
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeesh why bother to go to nursing school...

Wonder if I could do that and pass the medical boards.

Nursing isn't a bunch of facts you cram for in the last days before the NCLEX. Nursing is a process that takes time to digest, absorb, and implement. Boy I know I'm going to Belize when I get sick.

IMHO your advice stinks..

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was what worked for passing the NCLEX, and that what worked for me. An the whole point of "review" is to find out what you don't know so you can brush up on it.

Your comment about "Nursing isn't a bunch of facts" doesn't apply to the question at hand, does it.

You're not learning by doing the questions, you're pinpointing your strong and weak areas, so you can focus on what you need to work on.

Personally I love computers, but its much easier to mark up a book when you get questions wrong so you can review them later.

My two cents.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

[ QUOTE ]
    raymond said:
    I agree with WanderingRN, the best way to study for the NCLEX is practice on a computer. If you can't reason through enough answers to pass, you missed the whole point of your education. It's not about facts, it about learning the bigger picture when assessing your patient. I've been an RN for 9 years and now in grad school. You can always tell the "book learners" form the ones with experience by the way they approach what they see. When you read a question, think, if I was to walk into a room, found this information, what would I do? Use your computer lab and good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, heh,

Glad to see you've learned how to post appropriately, for the moment Raymond.

I'm not about to sell my stock in Barron's, AJN, Princeton Review, Mosby or the other publishers of NCLEX Review Guides.

Computers are great, but they won't be replacing study guides with indexes and rationales for quite some time to come.

The fact is more students are more comfortable with books than they are with computers. Practice tests on the computer are encouraged, so it will prepare them for the real exam, however most students still study the old fashioned way.

The best way to study, is what works for the individual. And computers are not a panacea.

The guide publishers themselves include study disks, as a "supplement" to the text.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

I just took my NCLEX on Thursday and will supposedly receive my results later today. My computer shut off at 75 and I am 50-50 on whether or not I passed. I studied with Kaplans and Saunders and did not started feeling comfortable with exam until I was in the twenties.

Anonymous

What was wrong with the way he was posting..Low blow there ....

If I'm gonna be taking a driving test in a truck why would I practice driving a motorcycle???

Inquiring minds wanna know.. Your reasoning seems flawed to me. If I have test anxiety shouldn't I confront the thing that makes me most anxious .. The test and how it's administered..ON THE COMPUTER??

As an aside, I can only hope that those who are worried about passing the test aren't only worried about passing; but that they want to be excellent nurses. That's why most of us are advocating understanding of nursing.. If I understand a basic concept or issue in a question I really don't need to "study" a bunch of facts and values.. AAMOF every question I had on my RN boards in 1997 gave me normal values and parameters..i.e. normal dig levels, lab values for K+ etc...I could learn all the formulas and "facts" about nuclear physics, ( well probably not) but I wouldn't trust me with the switch and I hope you wouldn't trust me either.

To me learning to take boards is a process. I have known people who had >3.5 GPA fail the NCLEX. You must understand the testing process. It is great to take many sample tests and grade yourself, but understand this, WHY were your questions wrong. Most of the time it has nothing to do with knowledge. You got that in school. Many people make mistakes due to NURSING PROCESS. In your sample test do not just grade them but study the rational why you got the wrong answer. Does it have to do with the process. Some questions have to do with safety. This is where some smart people go wrong. They will put an answer that requires a DR's order. Just because an answer is text book correct, can the nurse perform that function.

Boards are very complex its not just a test of knowledge it is a test of nursing skill at the basic level.

Anonymous

Also, you have to understand how the "testor" thinks. That's why I feel doing the exact thing that you will be doing the day you take the test is the way to go. And if you have a computer lab at school it's cheap. Read FREE,,,..Part of your tuition..

Ya, there is too much information to try to re-learn before nclex. Can confuse the hell out of you. If you don't know it. OH well. But learn to test.

Anonymous

Yeah learn how the testor thinks... Try this.. I have studied the show Millionaire.. Most of the answers begin with the same letter as the answer. For example What fruit did a guy name Johnny plant in the USA.. a. apple b. oranges c. peaches d. plums... See a apple.. Watch the show.. It isn't done all the time but I've noticed it more on the harder questions.. Very interesting. I think it's probably an oversight and may have been changed I haven't watched recently..HMMMMMMMMM

Some of the questions on the boards wouldn't be grammerically correct if you choose the wrong answer..LOLLL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast