Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what did you use to pass nclex rn????

what did you use to pass nclex rn????

Hi ladies.
    I am about to take my nclex rn for the third time and I am stressed to say the leaset I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on what they used to study for the nclex rn. and what worked for them also has anyone used any of the online sites to take tests off I am talking about the ones you pay for and use for a period of time and take practice tests. Any help advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance. Michelle Murray

Member Extraordinaire

Re: what did you use to pass nclex rn????

I took some college sponserd review class and had some books but luckily I did't really have to study too much. I did the old paper and pencil test. If you know the information maybe you need a test taking class.

I took a review class with Kaplan. I highly recommend it. Kaplan teaches you test-taking skills, which was something that I needed!

Anonymous

Oh I am sorry to say this.. Not making fun of you in any way... 17 years of being an LPN... But you probably don't wanna go that route.. Actually, I took it on the computer in the lab at my University as often as I could..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Hello Michelle,

My personal advice is this.

Buy or borrow five different NCLEX® Review books (libraries usually have several). There's AJN, Barrons, NLN, and a dozen other brands. Any review book with an index and explanation of answer rationales will do.

Then sit down with a medical dictionary, a drug book and your nursing textbooks handy and start going through questions.

Set aside at least a few hours/day for several weeks to a month before you're scheduled to take your test.

My classmates and I did an average of 6 hours/day just going through questions and different review books for a month before we took our boards.

We each answered 75 questions and passed on the first try (19 in my class).

As we went through the questions, any terms we did not recognize, we looked up in our med/surg books and flagged it for review later.

In a good day, you can get through a few hundred questions. Do as many as you can stand in a sitting.

When you need a break, go for a walk, go shopping, have a snack, then go back and do some more.

As you go through the books, you'll start to recognize more and more terms.

The ones you need to look up the first time, you''ll remember the next time!

Even if it all seems unfamiliar at first, it will pass as you do more questions and review the items you're unsure of.

If you have the money, buy the books (even if they're a year old or two, the question content doesn't really change).

We marked ours up liberally as we studied, jotting down the page # in our med/surg books next to the question in the review guide.

It saved a lot of time when we needed to look things up for a second time or when we needed to review.

Hope that is helpful!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

Anonymous

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeesh why bother to go to nursing school...

Wonder if I could do that and pass the medical boards.

Nursing isn't a bunch of facts you cram for in the last days before the NCLEX. Nursing is a process that takes time to digest, absorb, and implement. Boy I know I'm going to Belize when I get sick.

IMHO your advice stinks..

P.S. Why bother with all these books.. Take the test at your school's computer lab.

I agree with WanderingRN, the best way to study for the NCLEX is practice on a computer. If you can't reason through enough answers to pass, you missed the whole point of your education. It's not about facts, it about learning the bigger picture when assessing your patient. I've been an RN for 9 years and now in grad school. You can always tell the "book learners" form the ones with experience by the way they approach what they see. When you read a question, think, if I was to walk into a room, found this information, what would I do? Use your computer lab and good luck!

WanderingRN,

I think he gave great advice. The question was how to pass nursing boards, not how to become a nurse. If you can't offer something positive why waste the time to post?

Anonymous

I gave my advise as he did his.. He can tell me my advise stinks too if he wants to. When were you gonna jump on Raymond for agreeing with me..

I don't think cramming is the way to study for any test and that's what Nursing Humor was advocating. If you check teaching and learning methodology you'll find that cramming is discouraged.

Also, the NCLEX is a test to determine your critical thinking skills and knowing a bunch of facts ain't gonna get you too far.. As for knowing lab values every quetion I had gave me the norms.. I don't bother to learn many things I can look up. I wanna understand the concepts..

Aaron BTW when did you take the RN NCLEX???

I know I know sarcastic.. So thirty lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Again JMHO .. Of course if I have an opinion, and I do, it's never humble.

P.S. Go back and read my WHOLE post I offered positive advise. I said save the books take the test in your computer lab...Sorta like OJT On the Job Training.

I wasn't jumping on you, just sharing MY opinion about YOUR opinion same as you did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast