Thread: Advice to Student Nurses: What would you say?

Advice to Student Nurses: What would you say?

I am the newly elected public relations chair for the local chapter of the National Student Nurses Association. Part of this job is being the editor for our newsletter titled "Nightengale." On review, I noted the last two years worth of issues simply rehashed the same conversations which were ongoing in many nursing forums and web sites. I would like to make this newsletter more significant to nursing students -- particularly the ones at my school. We will all have plenty of time to become involved in national trends once we obtain our licenses.
    My question to established nurses: If you had two minutes to talk with a new student nurse, what would be your three most important points? (Let's skip the study hard and your going to have many sleepless nights while you get your degree as these are predictable.) What insights do you hold now, that you wish you had while attending school? (e.g. APA format...)
    I would also ask you to advise whether I can qoute you in the newsletter when you post. Thank you in advance for your time and attention to this matter.

Re: Advice to Student Nurses: What would you say?

1. Nursing is a Privilege that must be Earned ...

I always try to let my patient feel as if they are the one in charge, not me, nor the MD. Always, and I mean every single time, before implementing a nursing action explain to the patient what is about to be done, why, and ask permission to do such. As healthcare professionals, our patient's have entrusted in us to do what is best for their health & welfare. Yet, we must open our patient's eyes to the plan of care [regards to both medical diagnosis & nursing care plans] that has been layed out in their best interest. As healthcare advocates, we must help our patient understand they have the ultimate decision as to what can & cannot be done.

2. Nursing is a Team sport and we are the QB...

In-patient care is so complicated these days. A patient can be overwhelmed with so many different faces, hands, and hearts. In one hour a patient can be seen by their RN, Respiratory Therapist, XRay Tech, Primary Physician, another physcian that has been requested by the Primary MD to consult, then if it is a teaching hospital multiple the number of physicians X's 2-4. The Primary MD may be writing the orders [similar to the football coach sending the plays], but it is up to the RN [QB] that everyone involved is in sync. Never hesitate to call an audible at the line of scrimmage!
    RN = QB = Advocate

3. More on being an Advocate...

Never, and I mean not even once be afraid to ask another nurse for an opinion you may have regards to your patient's healthcare, whether that be an MD order, the patient's presenting condition, or whatever. Plus, never, ever be afraid to ask the MD for clarification on an order that you either don't understand, or think may not be correct for the patient's present condition. It is better to get yelled at by the MD, than do harm. Besides, you will most likely earn the MD's confidence, as well as become more confident in the process.

WELCOME & GOOD LUCK!

*Yes, you can quote the above in the newsletter... if, such is worthy enough to mention.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Question Re: Advice to Student Nurses: What would you say?

Mexogre - Have you read my post? If so, any thoughts?

BTW, 203 views of this thread and I'm the only one to take the time to post up a few suggestions for student nurses... c'mon ya'll!

MagredC5
    Yes, I read it, but have been a touch busy with the new semester starting this week and all. I thank you for your input.

Perhaps I should have put the request in a more general posting?

Quote Originally Posted by mexogre
    MagredC5
    Yes, I read it, but have been a touch busy with the new semester starting this week and all. I thank you for your input.

Perhaps I should have put the request in a more general posting?
    Your welcome & thanks for the in-depth feed back. LOL, I posted on 8-10-06.

Anyway, have a good & successful semester.