Thread: question for recovering nurses

question for recovering nurses

Hi there I am a recovering addict 8yrs in Oct and in nursing school. I have acriminal record due to addiction. Got arrested for prostituation but was dropped to conspiracy. It is a misdemeanor in my state but my question is will I have a problem finding employment and should I not mention recovery and instead state that I was in abusive raltionship verses the the truth that I was addicted to crack cocaine and was in a drug relationship and did things I thought I would never do for drugs? Any suggestion when having to explain to an employer?

Re: question for recovering nurses

This sounds sooooo bad,But for the sake of findin a job...I would just str8 up lie my a** off if I where you...Think of some sort of explanation for people that you could give if/When they find out you have past reccord of beeing addicted to drugs!

CDP

Good evening. Congradulations on your recovery. Most states only check on felony convictions and not the misdemeanors on your record. I am currently a CNO at a hospital and never look at anything less than a felony conviction. Being in recovery myself, I have found it much easier to be truthful and not get tied up in that old lying crap. Isn't that a behavior that we work to loose along with the compulsion to use or drink? Lying just sets you up to be found out, while being truthful leaves no opening for later being discovered and fired for failing to fill out an application truthfully. You do not have to divulge anything other than what is on the application. If they ask about treatment, tell them with pride that you are nearing your 8th year of living clean. As for the other, go to a judge and explain the situation. A misdemeanor can be explunged from your record. Show them the changes you have made in your life and explain that you are no longer the person who was arrested back then. The court can make the charge dissappear. I hope this helps, but don't, I repeat do not lie about who you are. Good luck and remember that you have a lot to be proud of.
    jim

What is a limited license, I live in Wisconsing if that makes any difference. I've been in recovery for 3 years,
    and am maintaining. I have everything completed and am awaiting my license. Then it will be the job! But it's not
    easy or cheap with counseling or drug testing. I've came a long way in 3 years even if the Board of Nursing doesn't know. Thanks Hugs

I wish it were that easy. I have 2 DUI's 9 &11 years ago respectively in another state.. I have been to a board listed doctor to evaluate whether or not I have a problem..(the DUI's were OFF work on the weekend), and I have had NO OTHER issues since then..(I was single at the time, and am now happily married). When does what a person do off the job affect what they do on the job? I have NEVER been accused of being impaired while working or on call, and am wondering why the state of Louisiana is having such a hard time with this. Any suggestions?

I have a similar story (6.5 yrs) and don't find it necessary to divulge any information that is not asked specifically. If asked specifically, you must be honest. After 8 years, you are less risk than most.
    good luck

I agree with spongeBob...oops spongebathBob...haha

If asked be honest (your story may help someone and be your most shining asset someday) but if not asked, keep your story to yourself. Congrats on school! We sure need you out here!

Randy, RN