Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nurse Practitioner vs Physician Assistant

Re: Nurse Practitioner vs Physician Assistant

There's no reason to become an RN if you want to become a PA. PA's are paid quite a bit more. They do the scud work similar to a medical resident.

"One focuses on Nursing Practice, skills the other is for Medical School wannabees."

I take exception to that remark, nursinghumor.

A master's degree is not required in most PA programs.
    Tom, RN. . . Neuro ICU, ER, Level 1 Trauma, Chronic Dialysis, Bone Marrow Transplant

I found a site that covers the nurse practitioner side of your dilemma. It's very well laid out, I think it will help you a lot...http://www.nursingprograms.com/rn-registered-nurse.

I hope that helps some.:luck:

Thumbs down Re: Nurse Practitioner vs Physician Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by nursinghumor View Post
    How long it will take, depends on where you go and how many classes you have under your belt already.

"You have 2 options in PA school depending on where you apply."

Many 4 year BS PA schools exist, however, the competition in those applicant classes is great and most applicants already have a prior BS in some science setting and an average of 5 years in the health field.

"A PA is usually a four year degree while a Nurse Practitioner is usually a 2-3 year Masters in Nursing program."

Actually, PA schools are usually Master's degree programs that last 2-3 years, with the minority of programs left being BS 4 year programs as mentioned above"

"One focuses on Nursing Practice, skills the other is for Medical School wannabees. It will focus more on diseases than the patient same as a doctor does."

PA schools are not for "medical school wanna-bees" as Mr. Lopez suggests. Perhaps he should apply and actually get admitted to an actual program before stereotyping on who actual PA students are. Many PA students, again the average age is 30 years old, and 5 years healthare experience, seek to enter patient care and gain knowledge and skills to care for and educate patients just as an NP or MD would and want to be an important member of the healthcare team. Most PA students would rather not invest 4 yrs in medical school and 3 years in residency and limit themselves in 1 practice setting. As a PA, you can practice in any medical setting your supervising physician is practicing.

"I'd suggest getting at least two years of floor experience in an acute care setting to solidfy your nursing skills and gain experience."

This is about the only worthwhile advice he's given.

"Once you have that behind you, you'll always be able to find work and you can go anywhere in Nursing or Advance Practice."

More good advice

Wish you luck.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory

So now that I've filled in the blanks, you can find more information on PA's at the AAPA organizational website. AAPA.org
    You can find a list of both 4 yr and master's programs nationwide, as wel as comparison and salary information to NP's. True, the "scope of practice" does differ state to state because state medical licensing boards all define what a mid level can or can't do. They do not define the autonomy a PA or NP has per say, and that is usually done by organizational policy or individual physician-PA comfort, and scope of state practice. Good luck in your nursing career and school if you choose it.

Quote Originally Posted by vickin View Post
    Is it true that there is approximately a $10,000 per year difference between NP and PA, with PA's being the higher income?
    not necessarily... I've seen primary care PA's making a mere 65,000 a year in the rural midwest where cost of living is relatively low when compared to Cali or East coast, the the work week is M-F 8-4pm...

A surgical PA or ER PA in the same area may start out at 77,000 a year, but they work insane hours like 70/week and have no life outside the hospital.. hence the compensation. After 5 years experience, they may clear 100,000 in surgical positions, but still work insane hours.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    I would prefer the 'whole' person treated, then just the sx. Many health problems would be prevented/lessened if caught early.

'Cat'
    where would you get an idea that PA's only treat symptoms????? That would be called malpractice and likely would be followed by a major lawsuit and loss of license to practice as a PA...

This is a good thread. I've had a great experience with PA and NP. It's a future career decision..
    Working on being a happier me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12