Thread: Applying for disability??

Question Applying for disability??

Okay, here's a question for everyone, and I would love any information.
    Does anyone know anything about applying for disability during the time the BON won't let you work? I have had a depression diagnosis for years, and now with them telling me I can't work, I'm stressed to the max about bills. I'm trying to think of anything I can do to make ends meet.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Applying for disability??

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaRN
    Okay, here's a question for everyone, and I would love any information.
    Does anyone know anything about applying for disability during the time the BON won't let you work? I have had a depression diagnosis for years, and now with them telling me I can't work, I'm stressed to the max about bills. I'm trying to think of anything I can do to make ends meet.

I collected disability for 11 mos while I was off work. You have to get your disability paperwork filled out by yoour off work. It must include the dual diagnosis Depression /substance abuse not the other way around. You can usually collect about 2/3 of your regular pay for up to one year. Most nurses in the program I'm in are on disibility while they can't work.

Hppygr8ful

Re: Applying for disability??

I'm not sure you understand my question. I'm not employed any longer, so I can't get disability through work. I was wondering if there are other options because of the fact that the BON won't let me work. Anybody know?

I also was in the same situation as I no longer was employed with my previous employer. (I was told to either resign or charges would be pressed for diversion). I even looked into social security benefits. They absolutely will not award benefits for drug addiction, and if the person is seeking benefits for a mental health disorder (depression, anxiety, etc), they will also not award benefits if substance abuse has been associated with it, such as a duel-diagnosis, even if that person is in recovery. Which is a shame, considering all the money I have pumped into social security while working. Other people with health disorders getting benefits do things that don't help their condition (we as nurses certainly see this), yet they are not penalized with no benefits. It is still a stigma to have substance abuse in your history if trying to get help from social security, unfortunately. I have heard of some nurses having insurance that paid them while they were out of work for treatment, but do not know if they still had to be employed at that job or if it was some type of insurance they got on their own that was not job-related. I am in a non-nursing job now, a major decrease in pay, but it is enough to cover my mortgage, and I use my credit cards to pay the other bills. The debt is mounting, but so far I am keeping my head above water with whatever means I can, until I am making nursing pay again. Good luck to you, I wish I had better advice, but did want to let you know you are not alone.

Thanks for the info. It really is good to know I'm not alone. Thankfully, I have an awesome, supportive husband and family, but with bills mounting, I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I've got a really good opportunity for a job with an insurance company for very good pay and benefits, I just need to talk the BON into letting me take it. I've explained to them that it certainly won't be good for my recovery if I'm homeless. Hopefully I'll have good news next week. Thanks for the input.
    Brenda

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Cool Re: Applying for disability??

All I know is that I collected State disability $780 a week for 11 mos when the board would not let me work. I had a dual diagnosis of Major depression with Alcohol dependence. Almost all the nurses in my nurse support group have collected disability under this diagnosis as well. IT depends on how your psychiatrist write up your criteria - and how hard he's willing to fight for you. Have you tried going to a psych who is an addictionologist.

Hppygr8ful

Well, that gives me some hope at least. Do you mind if I ask what state you're in? Also, who do I contact to get the information? I'm not seeing a psychiatrist because I don't have any insurance right now, but I am in IOP with a counselor, so between her and my PCP maybe I can work it. Thanks.
    Brenda