Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: needlestick injuries

Re: needlestick injuries

We had a really cheap brand, and I almost stuck myself trying to protect myself. Now in Home Health, I very rarely start IV's or give shots

Member Extraordinaire

When I was in home health I started a butt load of IV's and gave lots of shots and drew lots of blood. If someone couldn't get the blood draw they'd send me...the thought was she can start babies and draw from babies so she can do a 90 year old lady with hard rolly veins too which I usually can but it was their thinking. We had to carry a needle box with us. I worked for a hospital based HH agency so we used the same supplies the hospital used except if they patient had some weird insurance then they'd get supplies form who knows where....that made for a good experience as I did see all kinds of equipment kind of like traveling I guess.

In surgery, always watch your field, use proper passing techinque/passing trays... but there is always that surgeon who will inject and throw the syringe with exposed needle on the mayo stand... better be quick to jerk your hands out of the way! And if you do get stuck with a dirty needle, ALWAYS follow your facility's policy by reporting it and getting the proper tests done on you and the patient.

The last clinic I worked in had B-D syringes with safety needles,and they worked fine, but they got a good deal on a case load of Kendall's. I disliked them at once, because the safety gauge does not entirely engage unless you really hit it hard. What happens is, the safety cover stops about 1/8" shy of covering the tip of the exposed needle. Then, from instinct, the nurse will bring her opposite hand around toward the syringe and tap it to try to finish the job! This is exactly what happened to me. Luckily the pt. that I had just been exposed to was willing to have the blood draw and we're both good. I reported the incident to Occ. Health, and the RN intake let it slip when she said,"Oh,no, not another needle stick-you're the third this week, and it's because they got those cheap syringes." Not too much later, I left for a better job. I went to another clinic who was just going to be getting their first safety syringes--you'll never guess which company they went for--uh, huh-the Kendall's. Even though I told the site supervisor about the increased needle sticks with that brand, the deal had already been made and we are stuck with them-pardon the pun!

First of all let me say that I am a first semester nursing student. So this reply is based entirely on first hand knowledge of the business world, and second hand knowledge of the medical world. My wife has worked in the same ER for 20 years, so I have seen all the changes. Her hospital was one of the few remaining ones still ran by the nuns. It didt matter who you were or if you had insurance or not. Everyone got whatever help they needed. But those days are gone, and business has taken over. This is where that almighty bottom line has creeped in. I have seen her hospital make changes that are directed at only making money. Getting brownie points with the powers that be, with no thought of the cost to safety.Since I live in North Central Texas, I have seen some really small hospitals working hard to keep a profit just so that they can keep their doors open. Which seems justified to me on cost cutting measures. But most are so that someone or group can look good or get really good bonuses. And sad as it may be, this is the way it will remain. I assume if you go somewhere that actually makes a syringe choice because its a better and safer one, you need to consider urself lucky. But dont hold your breath if you think all will be that way. But hey, the world outside of of the medical profession is just like that, the allmighty dollar rules.

Keep The Faith
    Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12