Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RN & Hate it already

Member Extraordinaire

Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5
    Please, in future post leave out all the "you" references.
    Sorry Mag that "you" wasn't for you but for the one that thinks they know me.

Thumbs up Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo
    Sorry Mag that "you" wasn't for you but for the one that thinks they know me.
    Cassioo - No, you misunderstood me, LOL. I was asking that no posted personal attacks be made on this site to anyone... period. One-on-one discussions should be done via PMs, or direct emails.

I've noticed you have been a valued & regular participant here on the msg brds and confident you will continue to do same.

Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Lad; sorry to hear you are already discouraged. that should take at least 6 months but i know exactly what you are concerned about.it is the same thing everywhere.administration does not want us working overtime,but there are so few nurses.the nurses we have are demanding for the most part.they want to work monday to friday 9-5.well that is unrealistic. the thing to remember is that you must prioritize, everything else is not critical.we use the term cya, cover your you-know-what!good documentation is essential.i wanted to be super nurse too, but you are only human.be firm and say no if you feel unsafe.that is what your manager is there for. don't give up.if you find your manager is not helping, then maybe talking to the doc will help.:o :o

Lad, welcome to the downside of nursing, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. I've been a nurse for ten years and while I still love the patients, I am dismayed at how the focus has shifted even in that short time from patient care to money money money. My first instinct was to suggest that perhaps a unit as acute as yours might not be a good place to start - I worked in the ICU of a level I trauma center for two years and I know how overwhelming it can be. However, if you want to stay in a hospital, the less acute the patients, the more of them they give you!:eek: It works out to be six of one, half a dozen of another. So my advice to you comes more from my heart than my head. Stick to your guns. Listen to your conscience and follow its lead. If you are given an assignment you feel is unsafe, never forget that it is your right and responsibility to refuse. I've done it before and it was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done, but it was amazing how quickly they found help when I and another nurse who came on at the same time both refused our assignments(nursing home, 18 subacute patients each, no aides, evening shift).
    Is there anyone on your unit that could serve as a mentor to you? Someone who has been there for a while? Sometimes just knowing there is a resource can be helpful, although not as helpful as having the ability to clone oneself.
    Hang in there. Nursing really can be as rewarding as you had hoped. It's a lot harder than the nursing schools tell you though!

I have only been a nurse since June of this year and also work in a Coronary Care Unit (in Oklahoma). My experiences so far have been wonderful. Everyone has been great! My suggestion is to talk with your supervisor about how your're feeling. He/She may not realize that you are feeling this way. If you don't speak up and say how you are feeling it could just get worse. The hospital I work for has committees because we are working for Magnet status. They discuss issues like this to improve. Also, the critical care department has a Nurse Educator. She is an excellent person to talk to in order to help new nurses feel more comfortable also. The only other suggestion I have would be to find a new hospital to work for, preferrably one that is Magnet status or working toward it. I just feel bad that you are having a hard time, and I hope you don't leave nursing because of it. Just know it CAN BE BETTER!!! Good luck!!!

Unhappy Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by LAD_RN
    I need some advice. I am a new RN of only 4months. I work on a cardiac step down floor in a michigan hospital. I have always wanted to be a nurse, ever since I was in 2nd grade. I knew there was a staffing shortage and that it would be hardwork. However I never thought 4 months after achieving my dream and starting my career I would already hate it. SInce I have started my job 9 nurses, on my floor alone, have quit. We constantly work short staffed and nurses are always calling in. I should also mention I work midnights. I love being a nurse and I am very disappointed at the way i feel. I don't want to leave nursing or the health profession but I don't know what to do. Everyday I go to work I am nervous and constantly feel that my license is in jepordy. I guess I am looking for advice on whether this is a normal feeling for a new nurse to have? What should I do? I would love to get involved more in the political aspects...in michigan we have no limits to patient nurse ratios or overtime. A persons health is the most important thing in life, without health there is no life....yet there really is no prominent political support for nurses. Atleast not in michigan. ANY ADVICE?
    My suggestion to you would be find a new position whether it be in the same hospital or a different one. What type of graduate nurse orientation did you have? How long did you work with a preceptor. If you are going to work constantly worried that you are being put in situations in which a patient might be harmed you need to step back, find a new job, and walk away with your head held high.

LAD RN - Any thoughts after reading these replies?

Give us an update!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I'm also a new RN (started my job in May.) I also have days where I feel like why did I become a nurse? But those days have become less as I have toughed it out. And it has been tough! I think half the battle was figuring out which doctors you could call and not get your butt chewed off and which ones would actually listen to your concerns. Another part of the battle for me was just finding where everything is on the unit. I have not yet felt that my license was in jepardy but I have felt unsure of myself at times and that is when I asked for help or advice. I never let anyone else do my job but I will ask others for advice or how they do things. The feeling of being unsure is scary because we are dealing with people lives. If asking for help did not get results I would have been terrified and quit a while ago. All new nurses need assistance from time to time and if you work with people who are not willing to help, you are going to struggle. I work in post-surg for a large hospital in St. Paul, Mn. I work .8 a pay period and feel exhaused even on my days off. I have to say that 3 nurses I started with cried in the locker room the first week they were on their own. I didn't cry at work but did when I got home. I continue to ask questions when I am unsure of what I'm doing or how to do it. The day I don't get answers or advice from others is the day I will quit my job. All nurses were new at one time and learned much of what they know from other nurses. My advice is that if co-workers/supervisors are not willing to listen to your concerns or offer advice when you need it I would quit. You can never guess in nursing you have to know to the best of your ability what you are doing and why you are doing it. I would also talk to your manager about your concerns and if you get poor results than you may need to consider finding a new job.

Good luck...I feel your pain!

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by LAD_RN
    I need some advice. I am a new RN of only 4months. I work on a cardiac step down floor in a michigan hospital. I have always wanted to be a nurse, ever since I was in 2nd grade. I knew there was a staffing shortage and that it would be hardwork. However I never thought 4 months after achieving my dream and starting my career I would already hate it. SInce I have started my job 9 nurses, on my floor alone, have quit. We constantly work short staffed and nurses are always calling in. I should also mention I work midnights. I love being a nurse and I am very disappointed at the way i feel. I don't want to leave nursing or the health profession but I don't know what to do. Everyday I go to work I am nervous and constantly feel that my license is in jepordy. I guess I am looking for advice on whether this is a normal feeling for a new nurse to have? What should I do? I would love to get involved more in the political aspects...in michigan we have no limits to patient nurse ratios or overtime. A persons health is the most important thing in life, without health there is no life....yet there really is no prominent political support for nurses. Atleast not in michigan. ANY ADVICE?
    Hi Lad,

About ten years ago, I was a relatively new RN and experienced the same feelings. Like you, I worked night shift on a cardiac step-down unit and there was a high turnover. The patients were very sick and things moved very quickly. Although there was a goal of a 4:1 nurse to patient ratio, that was seldom observed especially on nights. By then, I had already worked for fifteen years as a respiratory therapist in critical care, so the environment was familiar but using nursing scope of practice and having absolute responsibility for the patient in the absence of the physician was intimidating. Now, I work on the dayshift in a critical care unit, frequently in charge, and manage the load just fine. My feeling is that you have a little performance anxiety, like me and many others before us had. I think it's a healthy "problem" to have because it causes you to be careful, but don't operate out of paranoia. Trust in your education and common sense. Use your resources and listen to what they say. Nurses hate to make mistakes because patients bear the consequences, but you will make mistakes. Learn from them, forgive yourself, and carry on. Respect that this is the way things are, allow yourself to grow, and try to not pick up bad habits. Soon you will be the experienced nurse with a new intern at your side.

Gook luck and welcome to the profession.

R

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofthesystem
    Casio.. nothing personal but you certainly fit the role /demographic ( Nurse Teacher) of ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK.... someone who wants people to constantly get mired in a monolithic path of grief and mayhem, while sitting on the sidelines watching corporate America piper their way through everyones sanity. Why dont you tell the guy the truth... which is that 90% of all nurses are miserable,..go into it for the money, end up in divorce, alcoholism, and dispair? How about telling him to go work at starbucks while studying for his Nurse Anesthesis? That way he will appreciate the field of nursing and not get raped and pillaged by the claws of bedside nursing. ?

Just my .02 cents.

:::sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    Dear tired,

You have a knack for understatement. Sometimes we stick it out for too long and the money isn't worth it anymore. It sounds like maybe you've paid more than you ever earned and are ready for that Starbucks job yourself. Maybe you should start looking. Just a few more cents.

Good luck,

R

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast