Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RN & Hate it already

Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Hi Lad.

I think it's sounds like your working environment is not for you. If your unhappy you need to get out of there. I have worked alongside nurses who have been working in their area for years and years and complain every single day about how much they hate what they are doing. And do nothing about it....I just think if you don't enjoy your work then move on somewhere else. There is so much opportunity out there and so many different areas, you may just need to find your niche....

gosh, all you complaining a bout beina a nurse.. wish i could fulfill my dream in being a nurse. i wouldnt be in it for money id do it for a real reason helping others. but i can t do it.....

I have been a nurse for almost three years now and I don't know what I thought it would be like being a nurse in a hospital. I never thought it would be like this, always stressed out, it is draining physically and mentally. However, I thank God for the opportunity that he gave me everyday and that is what I look at this as an opportunity. I can say that I hate my job because I don't. I don't like my job because of as we all know the staffing and the high acuity of the patients. I work medical/telementry and I know that I have gotten better as a nurse by how I handle situations but I do know that hospital nursing is something that I do not want to do for thirty, some years. I see older women in their 50's and 60's still trying to run that floor and some have slacked in the proformance and I know I do not want that to be me. Therefore, I am trying to get my BSN which I have one more class to go and return to the service. I am now considering United Plubic Health Corp because I will only have to do 11 1/2 more years to retire. After I do that I feel I can work what job I want to and it not be because I need to pay the bills. I also work the night shift even though it works against my body. It is still busy and stressful but the day shift is even busier. So maybe you should try to go to the night shift if your not already on it and maybe go to another floor were the patients aren't as sick. Sometimes specialty areas have to be build up to.

Unhappy Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Dear Jane 123,
    As one of the "Older" nurses I object strenuously to your lumping all of us together! I have seen many "older" nurses run circles around the younger ones and what about their superior knowledge and organizational skills! I am much offended by your comments!:mad:

Well,
    You should not feel that way because I did not put you in that catogory. I said, I see some nurses were I work, I didn't say all nurses over fifty slack off.

Quote Originally Posted by singer7 View Post
    Dear Jane 123,
    As one of the "Older" nurses I object strenuously to your lumping all of us together! I have seen many "older" nurses run circles around the younger ones and what about their superior knowledge and organizational skills! I am much offended by your comments!:mad:

Exclamation Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by singer7 View Post
    Dear Jane 123,
    Please, go back & re-read. IMHO, you misread. My take on the "Older" nurses reference was that some [not all] become burnt out, which I definitely agree.

Let us all remember the reason for the season... Merry Christmas!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Gosh, the conditions you work under sound grueling! It's hard enough being a new grad nurse but so many nurses quitting?...what does that tell you? I'm shaking my head right now...there's something wrong with that.

I definitely can relate to the feelings of being NEW and "hating" the stressful working conditions...please don't mistake what I'm saying...I have never felt that I hate my patients or that I hold hard feelings towards my patients...I love my patients...it's the stress I don't like.

You are NOT alone. I felt that way too when I was new and I still feel that way now sometimes too!

Take some pro-active steps in your life. Start asking yourself some meaningful questions...what do you really want to make happen in your life? You know what they say, if you LOVE what you do for a living, you'll never have to WORK another day in your life!!!

I've asked myself those questions and I take actions daily to change my circumstances!
    Good luck!

O I do feel for you! I have been qualified for over 30years, and the first couple of years were so stressful. It takes time to gain confidence, and if you are feeling this way, you need to talk to your supervisor. So much help is available these days...
    I still find my job very stressful, but these days it's not the actual work, it's the job, if you get my meaning. So much paperwork and political correctness. So many basics overlooked and ignored. (I'm writing from England by the way, so many posts here seem to be from the USA.)

In my opinion any new nurse is going to feel overwhelmed. You chose to go to school for this profession and also assumed all the responsibility that goes with it. It is a lot of responsibility that makes you grow up a whole lot quicker regardless of your age. Also the younger you are people tend to treat you a little differently. I am now a RN and have been for 3years, but I was a Paramedic for 10 years before that. I was the youngest licensed medic in the state. I was only 17 years old at the time and I had patients tell me that they had shoes older than I was. But being a medic and being a nurse is different. I guess what I'm trying to say is that right now times are tuff because the nursing field is short staffed everywhere you go. Things will get better. Don't let the stress get you if you have to go to your supervisor or go talk to someone in the EAP if your facility has one. Just remember everyone is not cut out to be a nurse, so don't let the stress run you off or make you hate your job. Because if everyone left because of stress who would take care of the sick. Also remember, it takes a special person to be a nurse and you chose to become one. Keep up the good work.

I hated it too and because of the money I ended up staying in it for 20 yrs. It got a bit better but it is just going to get alot worse. I'm thinking of some type of business, seriously. I have not settled yet on what it is yet.
    Beth
    Oregon

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast