Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW RN & Hate it already

NEW RN & Hate it already

I need some advice. I am a new RN of only 4months. I work on a cardiac step down floor in a michigan hospital. I have always wanted to be a nurse, ever since I was in 2nd grade. I knew there was a staffing shortage and that it would be hardwork. However I never thought 4 months after achieving my dream and starting my career I would already hate it. SInce I have started my job 9 nurses, on my floor alone, have quit. We constantly work short staffed and nurses are always calling in. I should also mention I work midnights. I love being a nurse and I am very disappointed at the way i feel. I don't want to leave nursing or the health profession but I don't know what to do. Everyday I go to work I am nervous and constantly feel that my license is in jepordy. I guess I am looking for advice on whether this is a normal feeling for a new nurse to have? What should I do? I would love to get involved more in the political aspects...in michigan we have no limits to patient nurse ratios or overtime. A persons health is the most important thing in life, without health there is no life....yet there really is no prominent political support for nurses. Atleast not in michigan. ANY ADVICE?

Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by LAD_RN
    I need some advice. I am a new RN of only 4months. I work on a cardiac step down floor in a michigan hospital. I have always wanted to be a nurse, ever since I was in 2nd grade. I knew there was a staffing shortage and that it would be hardwork. However I never thought 4 months after achieving my dream and starting my career I would already hate it. SInce I have started my job 9 nurses, on my floor alone, have quit. We constantly work short staffed and nurses are always calling in. I should also mention I work midnights. I love being a nurse and I am very disappointed at the way i feel. I don't want to leave nursing or the health profession but I don't know what to do. Everyday I go to work I am nervous and constantly feel that my license is in jepordy. I guess I am looking for advice on whether this is a normal feeling for a new nurse to have? What should I do? I would love to get involved more in the political aspects...in michigan we have no limits to patient nurse ratios or overtime. A persons health is the most important thing in life, without health there is no life....yet there really is no prominent political support for nurses. Atleast not in michigan. ANY ADVICE?
    Are their any other RN positions in your immediate area?

Are you a member of a local nursing association?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire

I would look at another unit or hospital. Sometimes it just takes getting used to and sometimes it's just not what you thought it would be. Actually being a nurse is different then that school clinical experience. I'd try something else before throwing in the towel. I teach nursing also and do hear some that say they cry the first few months but then it gets better and they love their job. I was lucky enough to have good preceptors and bosses and never had to feel like that.

Casio.. nothing personal but you certainly fit the role /demographic ( Nurse Teacher) of ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK.... someone who wants people to constantly get mired in a monolithic path of grief and mayhem, while sitting on the sidelines watching corporate America piper their way through everyones sanity. Why dont you tell the guy the truth... which is that 90% of all nurses are miserable,..go into it for the money, end up in divorce, alcoholism, and dispair? How about telling him to go work at starbucks while studying for his Nurse Anesthesis? That way he will appreciate the field of nursing and not get raped and pillaged by the claws of bedside nursing. ?

Just my .02 cents.

:::sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh

why are you miserable lad rn? is it the overtime? fear of loosing license? i think you just need to break into it more. i think over time you will build confidence. if not try something other than a hospital. a small nursing home, public health, or nurse anesthesia like tired of the system said. why did you go into nursing? what were your expectations and what are the realities? tell your boss how you feel and try to cut back on the hours. cardiac step down patients aren't stable so i would think you need 4-5 days off a week from that routine or untill you're more comfortable to work longer.

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofthesystem
    Casio.. nothing personal but you certainly fit the role /demographic ( Nurse Teacher) of ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACK.... someone who wants people to constantly get mired in a monolithic path of grief and mayhem, while sitting on the sidelines watching corporate America piper their way through everyones sanity. Why dont you tell the guy the truth... which is that 90% of all nurses are miserable,..go into it for the money, end up in divorce, alcoholism, and dispair? How about telling him to go work at starbucks while studying for his Nurse Anesthesis? That way he will appreciate the field of nursing and not get raped and pillaged by the claws of bedside nursing. ?

Just my .02 cents.

Boy you sure got me pegged. I do sit on the sidelines just watching...oh wait that's you who is not the nurse. I work full time at one hospital, perdiem at another (bedside nursing) and teach during the school year. I do those because I want to not because I have to. I do believe I see it from the inside from different hospitals. You hear it from the one side of the unhappy wife/girlfriend....maybe she's the cause of her unhappiness in her job and can't hack it and causes more work for her co-workers then she *****es to you about how awful it is.
    Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse even after they get out of school. The schooling is just the start the work does turn out differently BUT with the degree you can go to other positions in hospitals and out...schools, jails, factory, hospice, law and after trying them all someone really might not like any of them.
    Did you just come on this site because you have nothing better to do or can you not even get the Starbucks job? I think you should go to nursing school if you could get in then pass then get a job then you'll have a leg to stand on

what's the point of rehashing your views nurses? have you started your union yet? you still haven't said what your union is going to do to make nurses happy?

Exclamation Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofthesystem

Just my .02 cents.

Sir, I suggest you tone down your attitude, ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh
    what's the point of rehashing your views nurses? have you started your union yet? you still haven't said what your union is going to do to make nurses happy?
    This Thread has nothing to do with union nursing.

Therefore, stay on topic!

Wink Re: NEW RN & Hate it already

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo
    Boy you sure got me pegged. I do sit on the sidelines just watching...oh wait that's you who is not the nurse. I work full time at one hospital, perdiem at another (bedside nursing) and teach during the school year. I do those because I want to not because I have to. I do believe I see it from the inside from different hospitals. You hear it from the one side of the unhappy wife/girlfriend....maybe she's the cause of her unhappiness in her job and can't hack it and causes more work for her co-workers then she *****es to you about how awful it is.
    Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse even after they get out of school. The schooling is just the start the work does turn out differently BUT with the degree you can go to other positions in hospitals and out...schools, jails, factory, hospice, law and after trying them all someone really might not like any of them.
    Did you just come on this site because you have nothing better to do or can you not even get the Starbucks job? I think you should go to nursing school if you could get in then pass then get a job then you'll have a leg to stand on
    Please, in future post leave out all the "you" references.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast