Quote Originally Posted by LAD_RN View Post
I need some advice. I am a new RN of only 4months. I work on a cardiac step down floor in a michigan hospital. I have always wanted to be a nurse, ever since I was in 2nd grade. I knew there was a staffing shortage and that it would be hardwork. However I never thought 4 months after achieving my dream and starting my career I would already hate it. SInce I have started my job 9 nurses, on my floor alone, have quit. We constantly work short staffed and nurses are always calling in. I should also mention I work midnights. I love being a nurse and I am very disappointed at the way i feel. I don't want to leave nursing or the health profession but I don't know what to do. Everyday I go to work I am nervous and constantly feel that my license is in jepordy. I guess I am looking for advice on whether this is a normal feeling for a new nurse to have? What should I do? I would love to get involved more in the political aspects...in michigan we have no limits to patient nurse ratios or overtime. A persons health is the most important thing in life, without health there is no life....yet there really is no prominent political support for nurses. Atleast not in michigan. ANY ADVICE?

The first question that popped into my head was if these nine nurses quit, or if they got the boot. I think the most important thing you can do is be clear with yourself what you can control and what you can't. There are lots of things to worry about, but only a few things we can influence. Try not to beat yourself up mentally. I would consider the most important way to keep your job is to work hard at maintaining, improving your relationships with your colleagues. In nursing, I can't think of anything more important. Let me know how it goes