Thread: scope of practice

Anonymous

scope of practice

I am a RN in Nebraska. I received training on the use of laser to do fotofacial and hair removal in a free standing clinic. The physician I work with trained me to inject spider veins with scleroVein. In doing some recent research I found out that the Nebr. State Medical Board states that only a physician can do laser therapy in Nebr. and also ScleroVein is not approved in the US by the FDA. I told my physician this and he told me that if I brought the subject up again I would be fired. Am I not practicing out of the RN scope of practice? Hope you can advise me Thanks.

Re: scope of practice

You should contact your Board of Nursing immediately. Next, or later down the line, you should notify the AMA for his malpractice. It sounds pretty dicey. Better to be looking for a new job vs. another profession!

I posted a question about scope of practice somewhere on this website but I'll post the question again. What do you think of RN's doing "gingival" anesthesia for maxillofacial surgeons. One of the patients has had an untoward reaction. The patient complained of a lightening bolt pain behind her eye, immediate nose numbness and now persistent nasal tickling with Occasioanl eye pain and lacrimation 7 days post injection. Clearly this turned out to be a block rather than infiltration. What do you all think.

When you're working in a physician's office, there is a fine line between what you can/can't do. The Nursing Practice act will probably spell out that administering anesthesia is not within our scope of practice.

However, if you've been trained by a physician, and for medical malpractice purposes, are operating under their direct supervision, you'd be amazed what some physicians will have you do.

In your situation I'd also recommend calling the State Board and finding out if it is permissible for you do perform those tasks. Another source of information/advice would be:

The American Association of Nurse Attorneys:"TAANA serves as a resource network and support group for nurse attorneys and educates the public on matters of nursing, health care, and the law."
    7794 Grow Drive Pensacola, FL 32514
    Toll Free: 877-538-2262, Fax: 850/484-8762
    Email: taana@puetzamc.com
    http://www.taana.org/

When in doubt, if you don't feel comfortable, get a copy of the Nurse Practice Act to see if it is addressed. If not, contact the state board or an attorney.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/cases/