Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Grad and working in the ED

Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Grad and working in the ED

I had a guy recently, came in by EMS & the radio report said "laceration to penis", so I'm thinking- great, just want I wanted.... So guy comes in & I go to check out the wound- he is schizophrenic & says voices told him to insert a firecracter into & penis, and light it. His penis is basically busted open fillet-style, so it lookes like he has 2 separate penises. Apparently, this guy has inserted pencils & drinking straws into his penis in the past. While he was in the ER, he had to go to the bathroom, so I said I would help him with a urinal- he got so mad at me, saying it hurts to pee. I wanted to say, well no sh** it hurts to pee, you've just exploded your penis! Anyways, the urologist ended up taking him to OR & basically castrating him, because he had caused too much damage to try to reconstruct his penis. Ouch!

Since we are on the subject of the ER and the Penis...

LoL.. I had a patient one time that came in by private car with complaints of a laceration to the for-skin of the penis. Got the patient into the room and finally had a chance to to assess a him and get the 'scope'. Had the patient drop his pants.... as he was telling me how he got this 'laceration'. The patient told me that his dog bit him there.... I said to myself... haha yeah right... So when the doctor came into the room and we where just about to sew him up... the doctor had said... so what did you do to the dog... to make him do this... I started laughting I almost had to leave the room... LoL
    J. Tworoger, LPN
    Medical-Surgical
    Emergency Department
    Currently Overloaded RN Student

Back when I was a medic in the ER I was asked to insert a foley on a pt. This is not unusual as we are often asked to perform caths on males. Policy was to have the same gender as the pt do the proceedure to ease any embarassment. The flag went up when I noticed that the pt had a female name. I peeked around the curtain and saw a woman wearing a long evening dress and heels. I asked one of the RN's if there had been a mistake and they said "nope". I talked to this pt for a few moments as I set up the tray and soon discovered that the RN's were correct as this "female " pt was named Bob up until a few years ago. Can anyone say dude looks lika lady?
    " Keep shocking until you recognize the rhythm" or in other words " if all else fails, punt"

:firedup:
    Good luck in yor new career.
    As you know from being a paramedic.
    If you can perceive it it can happen in the ER.
    If you cannot it can still happen!!
    The world is a MAD place and you are at the gates in the ER.
    :luck: Myfanwy

Hi new grad:

I am new in the ED myself-say 1year now. Working in the ED can be very stressful to say the least at the same time full of fun.
    The first things that patients want when they come to the ED is something to eat.Next thing they want is bus ticket, bed slippers, pillow and the list goes on. They get upset what they are being interviewed, except if the requested things are supplied. Lots more to say next tme.

Bye DiDi::firedup:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123