Thread: Choosing the Nursing Career!

Choosing the Nursing Career!

Hi Everyone!

I am a computer science programmer and I have decided to change my career to nursing. Reasons I felt was mainly job satisfaction.. as I feel I love to help people, have a meaning in my job and one that uplifts me morally.

But, I am in a dilema as how to start. I checked with my community college and I require a pre-requisite. I am in Kansas by the way. I would like to do my registered nursing (RN) eventually. Which way is better? Doing a Certified Nurse Aid Certification or Licensed Practical Nurse Certification and then do my Registered Nursing Program. How long would it take if I do my CNA to RN and LPN to RN?

My CNA starts this fall. I should check abt LPN too. But, if I complete my prerequisites by this year.. my RN classes start next Fall and it would take me 3 and a half years in total (considering my prerequisites time too). If everything works well, I would finish my prerequisites by next Jan.

One more Question? I was thinking to get into a Nurse Aid job and gain some experience before I start my RN course. However, is it easy to do so? I mean.. can I easily find a job? What would be the starting pay for CNA and RN? Is it easy to find job as a RN?

We are planning for a kid now too. Hope everything works well. Could you please answer my doubts and also explain the daily life of a nurse and in the career growth aspect too.

I am sorry.. my mail is very long. Eagerly expecting your opinions. Have a nice day! Thanks you all.
    Amy.

Re: Choosing the Nursing Career!

Dear Amy,
    I started out as a nursing assistant at age 18. I found out whether or not I was "cut out" for nursing as a career. I believe that starting from there makes a person appreciate what they achieve later on.

I am speaking from my own experience. If I had to do it all over again, I would bypass my LPN training and go for my RN.
    I had the opportunity to get my BSN before I married and had a family. Please don't get me wrong on this as far as my career as an LPN. I am not ashamed of nearly 28 years of service in hospitals, rehabilitation centers and nursing homes. I took pride in my contibution to patient care, from helping in labor and delivery, to holding the hand of a dying cancer patient.

In the long run, the time you would invest for the 3 1/2 years would be worthwhile. I think working part-time in a medical setting would be good for you. Once you get accepted into the nursing program, it becomes more challenging. The more experience you have with "basics", the more helpful it will be. Some nursing students that are accepted into programs have not had those opportunities.

The nursing shortage is critical and I have been researching for an article I have to write for my class.
    I am hoping to make a career change because of medical problems that have sidelined my clinical work. Writing about
    it and encouraging younger people to enter nursing may inspire them to consider it. If you love to help people and
    want to be a part of a team to help them reach their goals, it is a good career choice.

Dear Lydia,
    Thanks for your reply. I sincerely appreciate it. Can I ask you something else?

I am basically sensitive and emotional by nature and my husband asks me if I can cope up with in with nursing as a career. He meant that, I could be very much disturbed in the midst of dying patients or people who are very sick. My reply was maybe I get matured in that way and maybe it could be a different at first and I will get over it soon.
    Could you explain to me your experiences when you newly worked as a nurse assistant?

If you have children, could you explain to me how you cope up with your work and family life? Sorry.. if it sounds personal. But, I do not know any friends who do nursing and I very much want some advice on that.

Is it easy to find jobs as a CNA and then as a RN?
    Thanks for your time.
    Amy.

Hello Amy,

I'd agree with Lydia, if you're going to go through the hell of nursing school, just do it once and go straight for your RN.

It is common for nurses to do an LPN/LVN then want to go back later and it just doesn't happen.

Is an RN program a bit longer and more expensive, yes. It's well worth it though in the extra money you'll make once you're working vs the alternative.

Working as a nursing assistant is an excellent primer to working as a nurse. You have hands on patient contact, can learn to organize your time and get a bird's eye view of conditions on the floors.

I'd recommend working as a CNA or Unit Secretary during nursing school for the experience and insight you'll gain.

Otherwise, try to do the RN program from the start, if there are no openings, do the LPN then RN but it's a lot of extra hassle and lost earnings if an RN is what you want to be eventually.

You may find these articles of interest.

Nurses Views of The Nursing Profession.
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views/

Johnson & Johnson's site is a great resource for those interested in nursing also.
    http://www.discovernursing.com

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Hello Lydia,

An LPN or RN is a licensed occupation, a CNA is not, so it's much easier to get a job as a CNA.

Finding CNA jobs are extremely easy once you're certified. Most places will even train you on the job.

The turnover rates for CNAs are above 50% per year in most facilities, meaning 1/2 change jobs every year. There is a high demand for them in most nursing homes and hospitals. If you can help it, I'd work in a hospital because you learn so much more and get better experience than in a Nursing Home.

It's one of the top ten fastest growing jobs for the next decade and considered unskilled labor.

Most make under $20,000 per year which is why I'd recommend doing it long enough to get you through Nursing School. Once you have an RN you'll make $40,000-60,000 your first year out working full-time in a hospital 40 hrs/week.

You can learn more about CNA opportunities at these websites.

Nursing Assistant Resources:
    The Shortcut URL To This Section Is: http://www.nursefriendly.com/cna/

Caregiver Jobs Clearinghouse:"Welcome to the Caregiver Jobs Clearinghouse. We are pleased to team up with the U.S. Department of Labor and organizations representing some of America's industries most affected by the recent economic downturn and the events of September 11th to present this new employment resource for those recently unemployed."
    1-877-US2JOBS
    http://www.carecareers.net/

Certified Nursing Assistants, Typical Workday:"This, is a typical workday schedule of Duties, for 6-2 shifts in a Nursing Home Environment. SCENARIO is 2 Nursing Assistants, Floor has 20 people, each CNA has about 10 each of residents."
    http://members.tripod.com/~CNA_MUNCHKIN/shari2doc3.htm

Cna's Certified Nursing Assistants, MSN Groups.com:"Welcome all Cna's/Caregivers and any one in Geriatrics."
    http://groups.msn.com/CnasCertifiedNursingAssistants

CNA FORUM Frequently Asked Questions/ Making Change Count
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/11252?achk=1

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Hi nursinghumor,

Thanks a ton for your advice. I'd look into the sites you mentioned. As I had posted before, I need pre-requisites which I need to complete by Jan 2004 for me to enroll for the registered nurse course which starts next Fall. The pre requisite is taking CNA certification. My hope is to finish my CNA by this year and get some job in that while I do my course in registered nursing.

I hope everything works out fine too. When you said, you have a 40 hour job every week - do you mean to say a 8 hour job per day on the 5 business days for both CNA and a registered nurse. I hope I explained it correctly. I meant in the sense generally what would be the work timings and whether they are flexible?

Thanks!!!
    Amy.

Hi Amy-
    If you have a degree in Computer Science, you will find that you can transfer many of your credits into the Nursing program for RN. I have many friends at school who have degrees in other fields and are going into Nursing. I will be in scholl a year longer than them because I have almost NO classes under my belt that refer to the Nursing program.
    Rats! If only I had taken English 101 instead of Poli Sci 5 years ago, that would be one more class out of the way - sigh!

Hi there,
    Amy again. I have my degree in computers which I studied in India. So, I would have to take my pre-requisites and maybe everything.
    This week we have a nursing program information seminar and we would get some of our doubts cleared abt the course. I am waiting for the classes to begin..

By the way guys - just curious, how hard is the course? Your opinions???

Amy.

Thumbs up Re: Choosing the Nursing Career!

It’s no secret that the United States has a nursing shortage, one that promises to grow to alarming proportions. Too many nurses are retiring, and too few are entering the profession. To compound the problem, within the next 5 to 10 years, over 76 million Baby Boomers are scheduled to retire from the workforce, with only about 44 million Generation X'ers available to pick up the slack. This will soon place unprecedented demands for services on a health system that is already stretched thin.

This shortage of allied healthcare professionals, especially nurses have a created a new boom to the nursing agency, nurse registry business, supplemental staffing agency for medical professionals, permanent placement medical recruiter, or starting a business in homecare and staffing pool. The medical staffing industry will continue to grow because of the upcoming baby boomers, and the current supply of nurses are dwindling. The average age for nurses are in the forties, and they are not being replaced by the new generations. Entrepreneurs have made lucrative business in nursing agency, nursing registry, homecare business, medical recruiter recruiting, or as independent nurse contractor in their own field.

The time is now for entrepreneurs to start a nursing agency,nursing registry business, operate a homecare business, or as a medical recruiter or just become an independent healthcare contractor. By being an independent healthcare contractor, you are bypassing the agency and are self employed. Healthcare facilities are the clients. Homecare are regulated by all levels of goverment from local to fedeal level. Homecare levels of regulations depends on the category of service provided to clients. Homecare services ranges from providing just companions or the more medically needed clients such as terminally ill clients. Homecare services can be in the form of social service, non-medical, and medical services.

For more info visit us at: http://www.nursingbizguide.com