Thread: I have a question about LPN's in Supervisory positions over RN's

I have a question about LPN's in Supervisory positions over RN's

I reviewed the Nurse Practice Act and was unable to get a definitive answer. I keep getting involved in employer relations that allow LPN's to assume a position of authority over RN's. I was always under the impression that this was not allowed in FL, but I don't know where to find it in writing. I was told today by an LPN that I, an RN, was working "under" her license. I don't think this is possible. Can anyone help me to find a concrete answer? The Nurse Practice Act indicates it is a 1st degree misdemeanor for a person to identify themselves as a 'nurse' unless they are licensed to do so. But, I didn't get an answer to my other question. :confused:

Exclamation Re: I have a question about LPN's in Supervisory positions over RN's

You are correct, according to the state practice act LPNs cannot legally supervise RNs. I have just recently spent a great deal of time on the internet researching this information. I recommend that you look up the nurse practice act. I did a google seach "Florida LPN scope of practice" and did find lots of data. The clearest information came from [url=http://www.fhca.org/fhca/pulse/0009/survey.html]Florida Health Care Association Newsletter. It states that "the Florida Board of Nursing has held that assessment, supervision, and teaching are only functions of the registered nurse, and that practical nurses may not assess, supervise or teach." This article also gives clear cases in which LPNs have had disciplinary actions against them for supervising an RN as this is out of their scope of practice.
    But honestly, if your facility is willing to use LPNs this way I question how much attention they are paying to running a well-run facility which meets state and federal guidelines. Do you really want to continue to work for such an employer? In my experience employers who do not bother with Federal and state rules are simply NOT GOOD TO WORK FOR. You may find better satisfaction, better working conditions, better benefits, and better pay if you just spend some time researching the health care employers in your area. Whatever you decide, Best of Luck to you!