Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please on strike assignments

justatraveler

Re: Advice please on strike assignments

Quote Originally Posted by DiprivanLover View Post
    well personally having gone through 3 -205 strikes in calif. we do not appreciate strike breakers as they are nothing more then hypocrites looking for money..we have to work at the hospital once the strikes over and they are long gone. thankfully the strikes ive been in were resolved to the nurses and patients benefit.yes we were striking for better work conditions which directly benefited ourselves but also the patients as we got better staffing and other conditions toward patient care. so if you are thinking of strike breaking remember that we consider you nothing more then [Edited out]... It takes months of negotiations before a strike is ever considered and this isnt taken lightly as we all lose money,vacation ect,,..we all have families to take care of and are concerned about the patients. but we need a decent wage and work environment to do patient care in. with all of the corporate greed going on. for profit or not . I hope that anyone coming around here will stand up for themselves and coworkers first. anyone who knows anything about corporations realizes that the buck comes first before anything even if they are very profitable . they can publish as much propaganda about patient care and how well everything is but we know the truth as we are on the front line of their lies. so dont go to a striking facility as they are trying to screw the nurses and the patients. go to lasvegas they already have 9/1 ratios if you want to work in that environment.
    NUffSaid..

p.s. I wonder how many managers actually post on these forums to secretly advance the corporate line of brainwashing?????????????

Years ago I was told by a good friend who happened to be a therapist. "People don't stay where they aren't happy" I had to add "Sane people don't stay where they aren't happy"

Good luck with your strikes. If you've been in so many why haven't they worked yet?

Stopunions - Home

justatraveler

well personally having gone through 3 -205 strikes in calif. we do not appreciate strike breakers as they are nothing more then hypocrites looking for money..we have to work at the hospital once the strikes over and they are long gone. thankfully the strikes ive been in were resolved to the nurses and patients benefit.yes we were striking for better work conditions which directly benefited ourselves but also the patients as we got better staffing and other conditions toward patient care. so if you are thinking of strike breaking remember that we consider you nothing more then a educated whore and you should butt out of our business. It takes months of negotiations before a strike is ever considered and this isnt taken lightly as we all lose money,vacation ect,,..we all have families to take care of and are concerned about the patients. but we need a decent wage and work environment to do patient care in. with all of the corporate greed going on. for profit or not . I hope that anyone coming around here will stand up for themselves and coworkers first. anyone who knows anything about corporations realizes that the buck comes first before anything even if they are very profitable . they can publish as much propaganda about patient care and how well everything is but we know the truth as we are on the front line of their lies. so dont go to a striking facility as they are trying to screw the nurses and the patients. go to lasvegas they already have 9/1 ratios if you want to work in that environment.
    NUffSaid..

p.s. I wonder how many managers actually post on these forums to secretly advance the corporate line of brainwashing?????????????
    Let me see if I have your stinking thinking correct. Nurses should stand together and support each other correct? [Edited out] Guess that's just a tad bit better than being called stupid eh?

So how are you designating ( gotta use big words to live up to your intreptation of me being educated ya know) MALE nurses. [Edited out]... Maybe you could get your union to do it for you.

P.S. [Edited out]...

DiprivanLover,

We appreciate your participation and I understand you feel strongly about your opinion, however I'd like to ask that you please be professional in your discussions and refrain from personal attacks when making your points.

Calling someone a whore will not be tolerated on this forum. We are all professional adults here and it is expected that we all behave accordingly.

---------

I realize that the whole union vs. strike thing can get out of hand quite fast, but let's please try to remain civil.

I can see both sides of the argument and honestly it's my opinion that Nurses are in a very unique and unfortunate circumstance regarding striking to better their working conditions.

Every accountant in the world could stay home from work tomorrow and we'd get along just fine. Every airline pilot, every school teacher, every lawyer, etc.

Things might be bad, but we'd move on.

If every nurse stayed home tomorrow to go on strike then people would be dieing like crazy! Our population would decrease in a hurry.

I don't believe nurses can go on strike without strike nurses. Would you not feel at all responsible for the patients you were just taking care of who are in the hospital with no one to care for them? If you don't have compassion for them, then I would question your motive for being a nurse in the first place.

I don't think strike nurses hurt the nurses on strike as much as you'd like to believe. It's a temporary solution and an expensive one.

Don't get me wrong, strike nursing is not something I would do, but I can't blame those who do it. I certainly wouldn't call them educated whores. SOMEONE has to take care of those patients.

I think nurses are put in an unfair position. You can't go on strike without someone there to take care of the patients and management knows that, and they use it against the nurses. If nurses go on strike, then YOU KNOW it must be bad.

It's a tough topic to tackle, and I've already said way more than I wanted to so I'll stop. I'll just finish by saying that I can definitely see both sides of it, and if you can't see the other side's viewpoint at all, then you are being closed minded and biased, or you aren't looking very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus View Post
    DiprivanLover,

We appreciate your participation and I understand you feel strongly about your opinion, however I'd like to ask that you please be professional in your discussions and refrain from personal attacks when making your points.

Calling someone a whore will not be tolerated on this forum. We are all professional adults here and it is expected that we all behave accordingly.

---------

I realize that the whole union vs. strike thing can get out of hand quite fast, but let's please try to remain civil.

I can see both sides of the argument and honestly it's my opinion that Nurses are in a very unique and unfortunate circumstance regarding striking to better their working conditions.

Every accountant in the world could stay home from work tomorrow and we'd get along just fine. Every airline pilot, every school teacher, every lawyer, etc.

Things might be bad, but we'd move on.

If every nurse stayed home tomorrow to go on strike then people would be dieing like crazy! Our population would decrease in a hurry.

I don't believe nurses can go on strike without strike nurses. Would you not feel at all responsible for the patients you were just taking care of who are in the hospital with no one to care for them? If you don't have compassion for them, then I would question your motive for being a nurse in the first place.

I don't think strike nurses hurt the nurses on strike as much as you'd like to believe. It's a temporary solution and an expensive one.

Don't get me wrong, strike nursing is not something I would do, but I can't blame those who do it. I certainly wouldn't call them educated whores. SOMEONE has to take care of those patients.

I think nurses are put in an unfair position. You can't go on strike without someone there to take care of the patients and management knows that, and they use it against the nurses. If nurses go on strike, then YOU KNOW it must be bad.

It's a tough topic to tackle, and I've already said way more than I wanted to so I'll stop. I'll just finish by saying that I can definitely see both sides of it, and if you can't see the other side's viewpoint at all, then you are being closed minded and biased, or you aren't looking very hard.
    Aaron; I hope you don't mind that I did some cleaning up, i.e. editing.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Wow! Even after what looks to be some heavy editing this appears to be quite a heated topic... So why not put my 2 cents in? :smoking2:

A: Nurses are educated health professionals. If you cannot discuss pros & cons, verbalize opinions and present your case, PLEASE retire - you are hurting every nurse with your unprofessionalism

B: I am the oldest of nine children. My father was a Union man. The Union was very good to us when times were very hard and I will always appreciate them for that. This is a statement so that you know my previous experience in summation.

C: A standard in the travel nursing field is that the nurse's hourly rate is roughly 65% of the Agency's hourly fee. ($60.00 / 0.65 = $92.31(hr) x 36(hrs) = $3323.16 per week

D: Average nursing salary per US Department of Labor is $49000/yr ($49000(yr) / 52(wks) = $942.30 per week.

E: At a difference of $2380.86 per 36 hour week per nurse ($3323.16 - $942.31) can it really be said that these nurses are BREAKING the strike?

F: Patients cannot survive without nursing care otherwise they would not be admitted. It is inconceivable that any nurse would want them unattended.

Summary: While I would not cross picket lines due to my personal experience let us summarize the aforementioned bullets. Travel nurses working a strike allow union nurses the luxury of leaving their patients attended while standing up for what they believe are their rights. Hospital administrations are forced to provide labor at an incredible 353% increase while negotiating. This provides temendous pressure on the administraion without hurting the patient. I know that no matter what is said here nurses crossing the line will face tremendous hardships and strikers will feel justified. I only hope for the future of our profession some consideration can be brought to this forum

Thumbs up Re: Advice please on strike assignments

Quote Originally Posted by Neversettle71 View Post
    Wow! Even after what looks to be some heavy editing this appears to be quite a heated topic... So why not put my 2 cents in? :smoking2:

A: Nurses are educated health professionals. If you cannot discuss pros & cons, verbalize opinions and present your case, PLEASE retire - you are hurting every nurse with your unprofessionalism

B: I am the oldest of nine children. My father was a Union man. The Union was very good to us when times were very hard and I will always appreciate them for that. This is a statement so that you know my previous experience in summation.

C: A standard in the travel nursing field is that the nurse's hourly rate is roughly 65% of the Agency's hourly fee. ($60.00 / 0.65 = $92.31(hr) x 36(hrs) = $3323.16 per week

D: Average nursing salary per US Department of Labor is $49000/yr ($49000(yr) / 52(wks) = $942.30 per week.

E: At a difference of $2380.86 per 36 hour week per nurse ($3323.16 - $942.31) can it really be said that these nurses are BREAKING the strike?

F: Patients cannot survive without nursing care otherwise they would not be admitted. It is inconceivable that any nurse would want them unattended.

Summary: While I would not cross picket lines due to my personal experience let us summarize the aforementioned bullets. Travel nurses working a strike allow union nurses the luxury of leaving their patients attended while standing up for what they believe are their rights. Hospital administrations are forced to provide labor at an incredible 353% increase while negotiating. This provides temendous pressure on the administraion without hurting the patient. I know that no matter what is said here nurses crossing the line will face tremendous hardships and strikers will feel justified. I only hope for the future of our profession some consideration can be brought to this forum
    Neversettle71; Thank you for that very professional posted reply. You provided viewpoints from both sides of the coin while using proper public internet speak.

I like your thought on how those that cross-the-line are in an ironic way helping those nurses on strike. The way I think of it is similar to the NFL with the scabs. We all know once the NFL strike is over most of the scabs will go away. Yet, while they were playing the public still had football to watch, and the owners witnessed the importance of how valuable the regular players to be... not to say the RN's that cross-the-line are not good nurses. However, travel nurses usually leave when the contract is up, too. So, my comparison barely floats, LOL.

BTW, for those of you that vented on this thread earlier don't forget about Rubber Room on this site where venting is more tolerated.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Neversettle,

Thank you for saying so well, what I attempted fairly unsuccessfully to say in my post!

:cheers:

well personally having gone through 3 -205 strikes in calif. we do not appreciate strike breakers as they are nothing more then hypocrites looking for money..we have to work at the hospital once the strikes over and they are long gone. thankfully the strikes ive been in were resolved to the nurses and patients benefit.yes we were striking for better work conditions which directly benefited ourselves but also the patients as we got better staffing and other conditions toward patient care. so if you are thinking of strike breaking remember that we consider you nothing more then [Edited out]... It takes months of negotiations before a strike is ever considered and this isnt taken lightly as we all lose money,vacation ect,,..we all have families to take care of and are concerned about the patients. but we need a decent wage and work environment to do patient care in. with all of the corporate greed going on. for profit or not . I hope that anyone coming around here will stand up for themselves and coworkers first. anyone who knows anything about corporations realizes that the buck comes first before anything even if they are very profitable . they can publish as much propaganda about patient care and how well everything is but we know the truth as we are on the front line of their lies. so dont go to a striking facility as they are trying to screw the nurses and the patients. go to lasvegas they already have 9/1 ratios if you want to work in that environment.
    NUffSaid..

:39: I don't understand. Try working in a state that does not have unions. Lots of corporate B.S., low wages, less that optimal working conditions. I work in an ER that does not even have housekeeping after 3 pm. Our security guard is the maintenance guy. Can you see my point now? I am a very experience ER nurse and can function effectively after about an hour orientation. I can do what I love to do, pocket bunch of money, and not deal with corporate B.S. for a while. Who knows, someone might even appreciate me.

Smile Re: Advice please on strike assignments

First up ladies....I think there is a place for Unions....not because they are that great or wonderful, but because nursing in general is being forced to go in that direction. You think it is bad in the North or West coast, honey, come on down here to the South! 8-10 patients in normal, understaffing is normal, low wages are normal, the right to fire without cause is normal. Yes, I worked a strike one time when I first started travel nursing. My mind set was the patient care and keeping ya'll's job open for you when it settled. I certainly didn't intend on moving or living there. I see where some of you are coming from tho. As I told a teacher friend of mine....you didn't strike when they did and crossed the line but I didn't see you turning down any of the benefits they reaped from their hard work and yes, they had a right to be angry with you.. If we don't have someone to intervene and put an end to this slavery that medical facilities have us in, then I can't see any future for nursing here. It was such an eye opener when I started traveling and realized that nursing was different out there. Now I can't go back to a regular job, my blood boils when I see how wrong things are here. Someday, you Northern and Western nurses may be coming down here to work a strike....just to hold our jobs for us so the hospital dosen't close and we have no jobs to come back to. Fine with me.... come on, the sooner the better!

Smile Re: anyone hear about the up coming strikes in California in April ?

Has anyone been called for the strike I have been getting emails from companies trying to recruit .Just interested if anyone else has gotten anything .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast