Thread: Any Student nurses as moms?

Any Student nurses as moms?

My name is Melissa and I'm new to this forum. I'm a mother of a 2 yr old girl and I'm starting my BSN program this Fall. My husband and I were thinking about trying to conceive this year. However, I'm afraid I will be too busy for my family. I'm trying to get advice from nurses who had kids/newborns when they were going through school. I also have to commute 1.5 hours for clinicals next year. Will it be manageable or should we wait till next year? I want to know your experience with your program, especially if you have kids! Please help!

Re: Any Student nurses as moms?

Hello,my name is Sherri,and I am 32 and beginning this fall as a freshman nurse.I have 3 children.Their ages are 11,9,and 14.I know they are not little but I have many worries as I go through this new beginning of gaining a career.I have know idea of lies ahead but I ma very excited to learn all I can.I wish you all the luck on your new adventure and many blessings.

Re: Any Student nurses as moms?

I honestly think it depends a lot on the help you have. My daughter was a year old when I started my LPN course. I just completed my BSN this week (YAY!), and she is now 10. I am a single mom, and her father was absolutely no help. My parents did help a LOT, though. I really could not have done it without them.

Two of the students in my class just had babies, and it put them a semester behind the rest of us. I know that if you ask either of them they would say to wait if you can, but they would not have changed a thing. Nursing school is very stressful on families, but you can do it. It takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to complete. GOOD LUCK no matter what you decide!