Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Being a Male Nurse

Re: Being a Male Nurse

Hello Cymro,

The (USA) Army Nurse Corps was established in 1901. However, not until AUG 1955 were males authorized reserve commissions for male nurses in the ANC. Then, not until 11 years later [30 SEP 1966] Public Law 89-609 authorized regular commissions for males in the Army Nurse Corps.

Also, (Active Component) Army Nurse Corps officers are at minimum BSN. Whereas, LVNs & medics (EMT) are enlisted Soldiers.

Re: Being a Male Nurse

Thanks soldiernurse, always nice to see how others do it! Have a few friends currently serving in the QUARANC (Queen Alexandrias Nursing Corps) over here with one or two currently deployed on active service...
    Stay safe.

Thumbs up Re: Being a Male Nurse

Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Thanks Soldiernurse, always nice to see how others do it! Have a few friends currently serving in the QUARANC (Queen Alexandrias Nursing Corps) over here with one or two currently deployed on active service...
    Stay safe.
    Cymro,

Nursing knows no boundaries, especially regards to Allied Military nurses. While deployed to Iraq for 15 months I had the pleasure of working with Romanian nurses in our ICU, one of which was a male nurse.

BTW, feel free to visit our Military Nursing Forum section. Again, welcome to Ultimate Nurse!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by daveyaud View Post
    Is anyone on-line a Male Nurse, or know someone who is?
    I am a 35-year old male starting school in September working towards being an RN.
    I was wondering if anyone has had any problems/issues working in a predominately female profession.
    Any help would be great?
    Been doing it for thirteen years

Can be interesting at times for sure.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/social/

been doing it for 30 some odd years, still enjoy it.

daveyaud,
    I treasure my nursing license. My only regret is maybe not going the PA route back in the early 90's when I first started college. Nonetheless, proud to be an RN, especially a military critical care nurse. Yes, the nursing profession is predominantly female (around 93% civilian & 75% in the military). Yet, in my 16+ years in the healthcare field only once that I can remember being a male nurse an issue. Years ago when I first started RN career as a Telemetry nurse one of my elderly (female) patients preferred a female nurse. This request was made early in my shift and clearly gender was the issue. I have found in most cases both female nurses & patients are more concerned with the nursing care being provided & not the gender. In fact, often times a male nurse is preferred.

It's all about professionalism, not one's anatomy
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I also thought about PA school. Didn't do it and I am glad. We have PA's in the ER. I have that PA stands for Passive Aggressive. or maybe Pompous Arse. Basically wannabes with a bad attitude. When they are just glorified suture techs.

Ricu
    I'm flipping a coin right now whether to become a NP or PA. For awhile, I was looking at becoming a critical care PA with the intensivists that I currently work with or a surgical PA targeting a certain thoracic surgeon who I really resonate with. Both practices said they would take me on, too, but I really am quite tired of hospital-based medicine and want now to work more in preventive care. Currently the NP certification is in the lead because of wanting to do private practice and as a PA in this arena, you're working under somebody elses license and doing their scut work more than anything else. I'll keep you posted.

R

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789