Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Med Assist to LPN

Question Med Assist to LPN

Being a graduate of a Med. Assistant School and having worked in the field now over 10 years should I be able to apply some of my learned skills to training required to get a LPN Certificate?

Re: Med Assist to LPN

yes. in lpn school they don't draw blood. so you're ahead there. i would go for the rn because you have more options then.

I do not understand your answer. I am presently a MMMMMMMMMed. Assistant but do all the same work as the LPNs but not get the pay. I love helping and working with people. I find at times the Doctor's asking for my assistance with patients rather than the LPNs because they tend to lack the experience required for IVs, Venipuncture, X-Rays and such.

yes med assistants tend to be more tech skilled than lpn or grad rn. med assistant is more tech.

Angry Re: Med Assist to LPN

Be it if I do go for LPN or RN, RN taking longer and costing more, the question I still have is how much of my previous education and experience will be counted toward my goals.
    As stated previously many times in the past Doctors I have worked under prefer a MA over an LPN for several reasons, the LPNs normally do not have the needed patient skills, and mostly the MA can be paid at a much lower rates than certified Nurses. I have encountered a tremendous reluctance in the Nurse and Doctor Staff to document requested tasks which would assist me in getting my LPN Certification because a fear that in doing so will allow me to seek an increase in my income or different employment. I am asked to be quiet and go with the flow.
    Sorry about the Venting. It can be frustrating.

with your tech skills as a MA with your RN you could prob find a job in surgery clinic. orthopedics clinic. with your RN and your MA background you would be preferred for those nice paying RN jobs in the one's i just listed. i think you would be very marketable with a RN and MA background. if you went LPN then you would still be very maketable and paid more. i don't think MA credits transfer to nursing school - unless you're talking anatomy and physiology. you will be paid more and very marketable so i would go for it.

I don't think that you would be able to add credits to an LPN program from a medical assisting progam, however, you would have a great deal on the ball already because of the skills you already have and the resources. You already know about many of the diagnostic tests and procedures, may already be familiar with medications and if you were allowed to give IMs, that is already a jump on what you would need to know. I see it as building up on what you already know with additional rationale of why things are done the way that they are. The bed side nursing would be a bit different, because some people really have to adjust to bathing and doing intimate things to people, and they will be much sicker than what you may have encountered in a clinic setting, but I think that the transition will be easier for you than it would be for some. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kidbunchmom View Post
    Be it if I do go for LPN or RN, RN taking longer and costing more, the question I still have is how much of my previous education and experience will be counted toward my goals.
    As stated previously many times in the past Doctors I have worked under prefer a MA over an LPN for several reasons, the LPNs normally do not have the needed patient skills, and mostly the MA can be paid at a much lower rates than certified Nurses. I have encountered a tremendous reluctance in the Nurse and Doctor Staff to document requested tasks which would assist me in getting my LPN Certification because a fear that in doing so will allow me to seek an increase in my income or different employment. I am asked to be quiet and go with the flow.
    Sorry about the Venting. It can be frustrating.
    It is interesting to hear how things go, because I hear from other LPNs that they don't believe that the RNs have the needed nursing skills, CNAs and others don't believe that LPNs do, and so on. I was a medical assistant, certified nursing assistant, phlebotomist and now am an LPN. What I think it actually is is that it is not that the physicians you are dealing with is that they may not want the title, but the person qualified to do the job. If the medical assistant has the personality to get things done safely, they will be respected and called upon. The same for any sort of nurse, may it be practical or registered in some cases. But, the nurse practice acts lead us to where the level of responsibility is different. Unfortunately, the license does not automatically produce a person with quality patient communication and skills. It sounds as if you really care about your facility and patients, and that is what is needed in nursing. You may have to inquire discretely, because it is true...the person with the license has many more options...can basically leave at any time. You don't want to take food from your mouth until you secure yourself elsewhere. Have you considered becoming a certified nursing assistant until you enter and complete a nursing program? Nursing assistants have a very physically demanding job, but the hours may be more flexible (weekends, evening and nights) for the classes you may have to take. You may be able to join an agency where you can determine what days and hours you wish to work and that can change for each semester you are in school. Best of luck...I think you would be a great nurse.:luck:

Hi i'm new here and I wanted to add that i'm also a Certified Medical Assistant and I'm currently trying to get all my classes to start the LPN program. Here in Missouri you have to be a LPN before you can become an RN. I'm also an EMT and an X-RAY tech. And none of this will apply towards the nursing program. I work in the ER now but they don't hire MA so i'm there as an NA getting payed more money. What a messed up deal. So my badge says nurse assistant. Not what I really am. It drives me nuts. I worked as a MA for 13 years. I looking forward to getting that title.

Where in Missouri do you live exactly??? I live there too. Clinics here (where I am.) only hire LPN's. I have my associates in Medical Administration/Assisting(before I got my LPN, which none of the credits or classes transferred for)....and all I got with that was a secretary job- I know my friend did the same thing, she got to take vitals every now and then though....

Also. You don't have to be an LPN first. You can go to a 2 year RN program straight out of high school or whatever you want. You could even go 4 years and get your BSN.... you don't have to be an LPN first. Really, it makes it harder if you are. LPN bridge programs are scarce, and I would have to start all over to be a BSN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast