Thread: Feeling trapped

Feeling trapped

I've been with the same travel company for over 4 years and they have been very good to me, but I feel that if I had my own health insurance I'd have more freedom. I could take time off between assignments or go with different companies without worrying about benefits. Any secrets to finding affordable, decent, health insurance?

insurance

Hi Nette

I have two suggestions for you to try:

1. Go to www.nso.com They have a whole section where you can browse individual health plans and get a pretty good idea of what they will cost. You can start the application online.

2. If you have auto insurance, ask if they also underwrite health insurance or if they can recommend someone who does. We did this and ended up with a great, affordable policy through Blue Cross. Since you would be obtaining an individual policy the cost will be based on your age, medical history etc. If you have no major health problems it will probably cost less than think. Coverage offered through an employer is usually a group plan which means they have to accept everyone and the rates are generally higher.

Hope this helps.

Re: Feeling trapped

I switch companies often being in Psych and carry my own
    for me and my wife. www.BCBS.com
    HSA 5400 100% after deductable Great Plan more info at the above website. Great Tax Savings as a Traveler .

Also www.HSAinsider.com

I'll be posting info on HSA Health Insurance and HSA's on my website soon www.TravelNurseToolbox.com

I get a reimbursement for having my own insurance of anywhere from $150 - $300 depending. That way keep insurance seperate and feel more free to switch companies or switch among companies.

CJ