Thread: Failed RN school 7yrs ago...now a lpn Help?

Question Failed RN school 7yrs ago...now a lpn Help?

I am having such a difficulty time getting accepted into a RN program in Georgia. Seven years ago I was accepted into an RN program and failed two nursing course. At the advice of my advisor, I went to LPN school a year later ...succeeded very well in the program. I have been practicing nursing for 3 years. Within the last two years I have reapplied to several nursing schools in Georgia. I have even attached a letter explaining my accomplishment since then as well as great improvement in grades. I also have received AAS (pre-nursing) degree since my failures to show that I can committ myself. I'm ready to further my education desperately. I have had doctors and RN's tell me you are a hard working nurse and When are you going to become a RN? Once again I explain my situation.

DO ANYONE KNOW OF A SCHOOL THAT WOULD PROBABLY CONSIDER ME?...I have thought about online LPN to RN but I prefer a class room setting

Re: Failed RN school 7yrs ago...now a lpn Help?

It's time to start re-constructing your self-image as a nurse.

You are not someone who "failed RN school 7 yrs ago" you are an experienced LPN with several years of excellent "real-world" knowledge to carry you into any future you wish. When we define oursleves as "less-than" we live out a "less-than" prophecy -- it's self-fulfilling and self-destructive.

You're going to be GREAT, believe that and you're attitude about school will change too.

Now, about online learning. There are several advantages you should consider:

1) In a virtual classroom, there's room for everyone -- unlike the bricks-and-mortor schools where the bottle-neck is created by the limited number of faculty available. So, don't dismiss an online school right away!

2) Online learning has its limitations but even an old-dog can learn new tricks. I've taken two online classes (and while I did not have stellar performance, I survived) and that is after more than 25 years of being "out of school" -- you can too!

3) Some online schools are better than others. Here are some questions that may help you choose wisely --

Does this school let/help me do my clinical experience near my home? (Will they work with me to arrange local, significant, clincal expereinces that will advance my learning?)

Do the faculty have a committment to be in touch with students? (Or, am I just a student number passing through this course without any personnal contact or guidance from the professor?)

Do we learn from a knowledgable faculty member or just from each other? (Some faculty are very "instructive" others may be very "hands-off" and trust the learning experience to the online dialogue of the learners -- this is risky if the class is mostly novices!)

Do we use textbooks or just internet articles for our knowledge-base? Basic nursing requires that we become grounded in the LASTING principles of nursing. I usually don't worry if a graduate class has no textbook, but if it is an under-grad class, I begin to think that there may be a lack of substance to the curriculum.

Finally, is this a school where I can connect to other learners for support (Do other students live near you -- in your state, even? This would allow you the opportunity for an in-person study group as you prepare for tests or projects) Knowing others you can connect with makes the online experience more palatable -- especially for us more "traditional" learners.

Good luck with your pursuits. And remember -- you are already a great nurse, you aspire to a richer, more fulfilling role and you CAN achieve it with tremendous sucess!

--p

An accredited online LPN to RN degree program sounds like the most sensible choice -- no waiting lines to start classes, employer tuition assistance programs and financial aid to help pay the costs for school in addition to being able to do your classes completely online whenever and wherever it's convenient for you. Why not request free information about their programs and see if they would accept you and give you college credit for the courses you did pass and your LPN experience?

Don't go with the College Network if you do go online. I went with it and it's 4 years later and I still don't have my degree (I made good grades in LPN school and passed the boards the first time). You can read about it in the thread on this forum, and if you want more info let me know.

FYI, "online" colleges are not really online. You have to take your test at a testing center for a fee, mine ranged from $60-$275 (each nursing course was $250 and there are 7 of them) and the prices go up regularly. The college charges an annual enrollment fee as well. Also, there is a waiting list for clinical after you complete the coursework. The study guides I was sold did not properly prepare me for the tests, and I was told my credits would transfer and they did not. Beware.

I see you are very upset with TCN, I had a guy come to my home last Thursday from TCN and it sounded like a scam. I live in TX and looking for an online program. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by stillearning View Post
    It's time to start re-constructing your self-image as a nurse.

You are not someone who "failed RN school 7 yrs ago" you are an experienced LPN with several years of excellent "real-world" knowledge to carry you into any future you wish. When we define oursleves as "less-than" we live out a "less-than" prophecy -- it's self-fulfilling and self-destructive.

You're going to be GREAT, believe that and you're attitude about school will change too.

Now, about online learning. There are several advantages you should consider:

1) In a virtual classroom, there's room for everyone -- unlike the bricks-and-mortor schools where the bottle-neck is created by the limited number of faculty available. So, don't dismiss an online school right away!

2) Online learning has its limitations but even an old-dog can learn new tricks. I've taken two online classes (and while I did not have stellar performance, I survived) and that is after more than 25 years of being "out of school" -- you can too!

3) Some online schools are better than others. Here are some questions that may help you choose wisely --

Does this school let/help me do my clinical experience near my home? (Will they work with me to arrange local, significant, clincal expereinces that will advance my learning?)

Do the faculty have a committment to be in touch with students? (Or, am I just a student number passing through this course without any personnal contact or guidance from the professor?)

Do we learn from a knowledgable faculty member or just from each other? (Some faculty are very "instructive" others may be very "hands-off" and trust the learning experience to the online dialogue of the learners -- this is risky if the class is mostly novices!)

Do we use textbooks or just internet articles for our knowledge-base? Basic nursing requires that we become grounded in the LASTING principles of nursing. I usually don't worry if a graduate class has no textbook, but if it is an under-grad class, I begin to think that there may be a lack of substance to the curriculum.

Finally, is this a school where I can connect to other learners for support (Do other students live near you -- in your state, even? This would allow you the opportunity for an in-person study group as you prepare for tests or projects) Knowing others you can connect with makes the online experience more palatable -- especially for us more "traditional" learners.

Good luck with your pursuits. And remember -- you are already a great nurse, you aspire to a richer, more fulfilling role and you CAN achieve it with tremendous sucess!

--p
    I agree with your advice, and was thinking of saying the same thing.

'You are not someone who "failed RN school 7 yrs ago" you are an experienced LPN with several years of excellent "real-world" knowledge to carry you into any future you wish. When we define oursleves as "less-than" we live out a "less-than" prophecy -- it's self-fulfilling and self-destructive.'

Exactly.
    Your own attitude may be the hinder.

Never give up. There a many, many schools of nursing in Georgia, apply to some more.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma-RN View Post
    'You are not someone who "failed RN school 7 yrs ago" you are an experienced LPN with several years of excellent "real-world" knowledge to carry you into any future you wish. When we define oursleves as "less-than" we live out a "less-than" prophecy -- it's self-fulfilling and self-destructive.'

Exactly.
    Your own attitude may be the hinder.

Never give up. There a many, many schools of nursing in Georgia, apply to some more.
    Thanks everyone for the advice

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    And? What's gone on the past few years? It's been a while between your first post here, and the last one......