Thread: Lpn

Lpn

Hey everybody,

This is my first post here . Can anyone tell me more about LPN programs? Like, how long LPN programs are, what type of degree is required, etc? I really don't know much about the LPN certification, so any info would be helpful!

Thank you in advance.

Re: Lpn

Hi drewmeister,

LPN (or LVN) programs generally take about a year to complete and require a high school diploma or a GED for admission. Graduates must pass the NCLEX-PN (national nursing licensing exam for LPN's) in order to get their license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.

LPN's work in a variety of healthcare settings including home health, hospitals, doctors offices, etc and perform patient care under the supervision of Registered Nurses. See Become a Licensed Practical Nurse for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by medi
    Hi drewmeister,

LPN (or LVN) programs generally take about a year to complete and require a high school diploma or a GED for admission. Graduates must pass the NCLEX-PN (national nursing licensing exam for LPN's) in order to get their license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.

LPN's work in a variety of healthcare settings including home health, hospitals, doctors offices, etc and perform patient care under the supervision of Registered Nurses. See Become a Licensed Practical Nurse for more information.
    Thank you for the information .

One thing I wonder though, is it really that easy to get your RN online after becoming an LPN?

Also, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to switch from a freshmen in college to a community college to get my LPN (and later get my RN)?

Thanks again.

There are a few nurses here who went through the online LPN to RN program at Excelcior (spelling??) who could give you an honest opinon about how easy or hard they thought it was -- I can only go by what I've heard and I've heard good things but I also know that school isn't acceptable to the California State Board of Nursing and I don't believe it is in Texas either.

Otherwise I think it's accepted in all other states for RN licensure. There are also online LPN to BSN degree programs such as the one offered by Indiana State University that are totally online and that IS definitely accepted by all state boards as far as I know.

Actually it's a smart way to become an RN these days. A lot of campus based nursing programs are all but impossible to get into without waiting several years for a seat -- in fact nursing schools turned away 110,000 applicants in 2005 due to a shortage of nursing instructors....

Also most employers offer tuition reimbursement or other tuition assistance plans that could help pay for continuing your education-- in addition to making use of nursing scholarships and other forms of financial aid..

Taken into consideration the fact that online nursing students can keep their job and income while getting their online degree- and the ability to start right away versus waiting a year or two on a waiting list LPN's can easilt get to be RN's faster this way than any other way--

While traditional applicants are stuck on the campus waiting list an online student could be graduating before the traditional student even gets to start classes.

Quote Originally Posted by medi
    There are a few nurses here who went through the online LPN to RN program at Excelcior (spelling??) who could give you an honest opinon about how easy or hard they thought it was -- I can only go by what I've heard and I've heard good things but I also know that school isn't acceptable to the California State Board of Nursing and I don't believe it is in Texas either.

Otherwise I think it's accepted in all other states for RN licensure. There are also online LPN to BSN degree programs such as the one offered by Indiana State University that are totally online and that IS definitely accepted by all state boards as far as I know.

Actually it's a smart way to become an RN these days. A lot of campus based nursing programs are all but impossible to get into without waiting several years for a seat -- in fact nursing schools turned away 110,000 applicants in 2005 due to a shortage of nursing instructors....

Also most employers offer tuition reimbursement or other tuition assistance plans that could help pay for continuing your education-- in addition to making use of nursing scholarships and other forms of financial aid..

Taken into consideration the fact that online nursing students can keep their job and income while getting their online degree- and the ability to start right away versus waiting a year or two on a waiting list LPN's can easilt get to be RN's faster this way than any other way--

While traditional applicants are stuck on the campus waiting list an online student could be graduating before the traditional student even gets to start classes.
    Thank you again. Now with the line of people waiting to get into RN school, is the line starting to grow for LPN school? Or is it still relatively small (granted I could see how it would pretty much always be smaller than RN school, as the LPN program is only a year, so you get people "out" of the system faster, you might say)? In other words, is there really any wait for LPN school at all? Thanks.

i would go to a private school (with no waiting list) and get your rn. it will cost more but as an rn you will have more opportunities. i'm not trying to scare anybody away from nursing but lpn make most money in nursing home - it is hard work in a nursing home and lots of time people call off so you get mandated to stay the next shift. there are so many different things you can do with a nursing degree (expecially rn). and there are so many nursing jobs - it's not like accounting where it may take you a year to get a job and then after 2 years your job is downsized or outsourced and you may never get another accounting job again. i did go to excelsior and i liked it because i like going at my own pace and working full time. nursing school is like a full time job - unless you go at your own pace. i would reccoment rn at a private school - with no waiting list. i wrote in another thread about how public nursing schools rake you over the coals - in my state 1/3 of the nursing class grad in public schools. public schools don't have to graduate people they just have to keep enrollment up.

All the previous feedback is great, but if you'd like to read up a little, there are some painless, easy articles I found on this site. I think they'll help you and anyone else trying to find out more about becoming an LPN, or an RN for that matter.

http://www.nursingprograms.com/licen...ractical-nurse
    http://www.nursingprograms.com/rn-registered-nurse