Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch to all RN staff with LPN's getting the boot

Re: Switch to all RN staff with LPN\'s getting the boot

That sounds really exciting!! IF you don't mind telling, where is it that you are presently practicing? Do they hire LPN's with no hospital experience? (I'm dying to get out of LTC)

Hi
    Have any of you ever had any experience with nurses who do radar obs, you know they've recorded the obs but haven't done them and all the BP and pulses are the same. what was the outcome? Only one RN said she was aware of this practice last year and a teaching instructor said there was no such thing as radar obs. It's a bit scary really it's like someone signing a patient's chart for insulin when it hasn't been given. The patient asked when he was going to get it when I came on shift that morning. (I am only a student and it was prac) I took the patient's BSL and discussed it with my preceptor (the BSL indicated from the reading that he hadn't had it) and it was given under supervision with the original signature crossed out and countersigned. Unfortunately there are so many areas for slip-ups despite care and a few fake obs doesn't help either.
    trier

Member Extraordinaire

yes I've seen nurses do assessments from the desk because they walked in a room at 8am they think the assessment is the same at 3 pm.

Anonymous

But don't you love the docs who don't carry stethescopes and write FINE crackles on their assessments????

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Member Extraordinaire

one of our OB's will say how far was she. If I say 3 cm he says 3 cm. I don't think he finds a cervix half the time when he breaks water just sticks the hook in there and goes with it...guess that's why a couple of scalp lead have been on butts he didn't feel the presenting part after breaking water just stuck it in there and that was that until the next time a nurse checked (2-3 hours later) and it was butt.. now how did that baby flip, take the lead off it's head and attach it to it's own butt? Long armed co-ordinated baby I'd say.

Anonymous

Hey Cass some kids are just like that..They can't help it..

lolll

WR,,, three commas for Becca

We do not use LPNs in the ICU because of the many complexities of the patient. We rarely even have Aides, or Techs, or PCAs or whatever title you want to give them... although it would be nice.

LPNs, however, still play a big part on many of our other nursing units. Each institution has it's own way of thinking. I say, if your institution cans you as an LPN... don't fret, you DO have options... remember, this is America!!!

You should be able to find work as an LPN in every state in the union. If not in your town, then maybe you could decide to get your RN license... if not, relocate, or take up travelling. Or if your fed up with system, find another career... although I really don't recommend that... because I believe a nurse is a nurse, LPN or RN or BSN or MSN etc...
    they are all nurses, just at different levels.

We may not always like the hand we are dealt, but always remember... YOU DO HAVE OPTIONS!!!!!

I am an LPN and never worked with IV placement let alone the lines and forget IV pushes and blood draws. Then I moved to north carolina and they taught me everything and I am so greatful I too dont like relying on an RN to do my pt. care. I love ya all but I like to know each and every aspect of my pt.s including reactions to all meds given. And I really like my pt.s to have my pt.s have pain med as quickly as possible. I say hurray for NORTH CAROLINA for utilizing all staff.

Hello, I dunno if you will still be able to read this reply... but then, like youm I am also a chronologically-advantaged nursing student, since this is my 2nd course. :-)

I guess pretty much, the preceptors view "us" (although am not that matured-aged you know..hehehe) as the more responsible and dedicated in our duties as students. There are advantages & disadvantages though. One of the advantage I think is that they trust our best judgement on certain decisions and are confident of the effort that we are exerting in our academic requirements. The disadvantage comes when they become to lax and overly trust us, that sometimes, they assume we can just try to figure things out on our own. Atleast from the school that I went to.

What do you think?

The one thing that healthcare isn't going to ever be able to do is switch to an all RN staff. First of all it is a waste of manpower. I don't think that the RNs knowledge of care would be wasted on doing something that someone with less training would do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast