View Poll Results: What are we doing to help reentering impaired nurses get jobs?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • take refresher course or hospitals to suppot retraining

6 20.69%
  • Should hospitals become more informed and understanding about impaired nurses in monitoring programs

23 79.31%

Thread: Nurse in recovery searching for a job

Nurse in recovery searching for a job

I need some feedback please. I am a nurse in Florida. I am in the IPN, I have 5 years in recovery and I have been out of hospital nursing 9 years, and have been on disability. I am not ready for the rocking chair. I don't want to be "handicaped" anymore. I am Bipolar, and had a back injury. I am well controlled with medication, and my back is fine now after I lost 150 pounds. I am highly motivated. I am having trouble getting a job. I have an extensive background. Some hospitals say I need a refresher course. I recently graduated as a Legal Nurse Consultant. So where are the Jobs? I have no criminal background, and have never been arrested. I am very proud of what I have acomplished.

Re: Nurse in recovery searching for a job

God Morning,
    #1 sounds like you have put a lot of work into your self and you truly believe in your self. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of courses do they want you to have?

Did you try pool positions prior to full time? I have seen people get back into nursing that way.

From recent news of the weather, sounds like there may be prn or pool positions open in Florida. You may have to get your foot in the door to prove your self, which I am sure you will!!!! Good luck!!!!!

Re: Nurse in recovery searching for a job

Congratulations on making such drastic improvements in your life. Especially the wt. loss thing. That is amazing!!! With that Legal Nurse Consultant thing, I have looked into it myself cause I thought it was interesting but noticed that there really wasnt anyone advertising to hire a nurse legal consultant. What part of FL R u IN? When i was in the West Palm Beach area, seemed like there were alot of RN openings. I know Long Term Care is not picking and choosing and hires just about anyone. Private duty did not seem to hard to break into but paid a lot less. It is hard though when you have been out for as long as you have. Figure out what your strengths are and brush up on what is happening in your field. As long as you can convince a manager that you know what you are doing I think someone will give you a chance. Keep me updated.