Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Care Nurses

Long Term Care Nurses

Hi. Just wondering how many of you out there work in LTC? How do you like it???? I spent most of my career in LTC and found it difficult and challenging. Had better hours, schedules and pay for RN's. But a huge turn over and a lot of regulations to comply with. Found I had to have great supervision and organizational skills. It is easier for an RN to be in a management position in a LTC than it is in an acute care. I enjoy elderly people but hope that some day they can find themselves in a better situation than what most LTC facilities have to offer. They deserve better. I hope I live to see the day that nursing homes can be staffed better.

Re: Long Term Care Nurses

I work in Long Term Care. I like it okay. I like taking care of people, and actually getting a chance to interact with them, as opposed to the hospital, where you have little time for that. However, there are quite a few aspects of LTC that I don't like. I don't feel like going into them tonight since I just got home from work...

What made you choose LTC? I have been working in LTC since the age of 16, first a CNA, then LVN, Then 4yr RN. I guess I got used to it. The hospital seemed like way more responsibility, too many admissions and discharges, order changes, primary care, etc. I have been paid better in LTC and have had better hours. That is one side of it. Having to work with some uncaring, unprofessional, staff is the other. Have a lot of wild stories to tell during my career. I just think the elderly for the most part deserve better. Would help if the regulations would mandate more help. But that will probably never happen with all the cutbacks. The care for these folks is so labor intensive. Looking back I cannot believe how many years I stayed in the field. Nothing ever changed. The working conditions never improved. Right now I am taking a long break. Trying to figure out what kind of nursing I would like to do next. Maybe teach CNA's or LVN's. I really should go back to school and get my NP.

I have a profound respect for the people that work in LTC. My mother was in one for 8 years after a CVA. The nurses and staff were great. Takes a special person to do that. I would burn out due to the close relationship you would develop with the patients and families then have to deal with eventual loss.

I have been in long term care since the late 1980's. I started as a CNA and worked my way up becoming an LPN then an Rn. I am currently an ADON in a LTC. We also have rehab patients. It is so very hard to find staff now that want to work in a long term care facility. LTC is very regulated. I heard recently that the only business more regulated than LTC is a nuclear power plant. Go figure. Its all of those "Is your loved one in a nursing home?" ads that does it to us. My facility is a very good facility and wouldn't choose any other around to work in or to place someone in. I love the geriatric population but just don't get to spend as much time with them anymore. Is all paperwork now. It is a difficult field to work in but its not the residents (mostly not), that make it so difficult. We have to make sure EVERYTHING is documented, that we have a policy and procedure for EVERYTHING, and still maintain our sanity. Only those working in LTC would understand. Families have trouble understanding why things are done one way in a hospital and completely different in a LTC facility. Most of the docs have trouble with the difference too. Oh my, I could go on and on. Bottom line is, I love geriatrics. I don't love the paperwork and shortstaffed issues. If I could I would retire. I hope all understand where I am coming from.[font=Georgia]Text[/f]

I have been in LTC for the past 25 yrs. On the most part have really enjoyed it alot. I am an LPN and do work well with the RN's and CNA's. I am not sure right now how much longer I can keep it up. I will be 62 this year and like alot of other people I need health insurance. I have a very young DON late 20's and we have lost alot of nurses because of her. She is playing games with me. ??I'm I too old or is it her?? Maybe I'm burning out. Do others have this problem

Sure a lot of nurses have problems with unqualified unprofessional DON's that harass them. Depending on what state you are in you do have the right to file formal complaints about this DON's behavior. For example age discrimination applies to people over 40. Does she treat you differently in that respect? Is she harassing you to the point that it interferes with your ability to perform your job? Is she incompetent? If she is log and take notes of all the details. You could file a formal complaint against her with the RN boards. You could also hire an attorney and ask him if you have a case. Yes the road is littered with rude, unqualified DON's but they dont last long.

I, too, love the geritric population. They are womderful, and love to tell stories about the "good old days." I agree that the LTC setting is very tightly regulated. I have worked LTC for 8 years as an LPN and recently earned by BSN.

I think that any staff that treats a "more seasoned" nurse any differently because she is older is not a good candidate for DON of a predominantly geriatric- based facility. Does she treat the residents differently or belittle them?

Hello Everyone,

Found a few organizations that represent LTC Staff, you can find more resources and helpful information here:

For Nurses:

National Gerontological Nursing Association (NGNA):"We are the first and only nursing specialty organization dedicated to helping you realize your full potential as a gerontological nurse. We are a growing, dynamic and dedicated group of professionals who share ideas and information that improve the quality of nursing care for our elderly.
    National Gerontological Nursing Association (NGNA)
    7794 Grow Drive
    Pensacola, FL 32514
    Tel850) 473-1174 or (800) 723-0560
    Fax850) 484-8762
    email: ngna@puetzamc.com
    http://www.ngna.org/

For Certified Nursing Assistants:

CNA Today:"CNA Today is a quarterly magazine published by the National Association of Geriatric Nursing Assistants (NAGNA) for and about certified nursing assistants and their role in long term care. It is a special magazine, a publication virtually every person in the long term care industry will want to read. With a circulation of well over 20,000, we reach CNAs, Directors of Nursing, facility Administrators, nursing home residents, and their families, product manufacturers, policy makers, and other health care associations. The first issue debuted June 2001 and was unveiled at the NAGNA National Convention. CNA Today will prove to be a remarkable resource for information on long term care."
    CNA Today
    PO Box 375 Joplin, MO 64802
    800-784-6049 fax-417-623-2230
    Editorial Content ctrendel@cnatoday.com
    http://www.cnatoday.com

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinghumor.com

I worked in LTC for the mentally handicapped for 4 years. I loved the job--the patients (we called them individuals) and I loved the hours the money wasn't great but I just loved the job. The reason I quit.....non-medical supervisors that think they know what is best for the medical needs of the individuals!!! I was responsible for over 60 individuals 24 hours a day, seven days a week..I knew my people's medical and psychological needs. However, the "supervisors" that worked 9-5 Monday through Friday that only saw the individuals while walking through the halls and an occasional meeting ALWAYS knew just what was best for their medical well-being. I finally had enough when a couple of folks died. I checked into having something done. I saw a lawyer and called the state board of nursing in my state. The only answer I got was that if I tried to challenge a state agency I would have a hard time finding another job. They wouldn't fire me--they would just make things so terribly miserable that I would quit. They did and I did quit. I hated to leave all my people that I loved so dearly, but working there just made me realize that it is almost impossible for one nurse to really make a difference. I still see some of the individuals from time to time around in the community. They always come up to me grinning from ear to ear and give the biggest hugs anyone could imagine. They can make you feel like a million bucks on your worse day, but when no one is there to help you make a difference in their lives...what can you do???
    Sorry about the rant...just really needed to get that off my chest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast