Thread: New Here...

New Here...

Hello everybody.

I am hoping to start nursing school again in May. Back in 1991 when I graduated from high school, I majored in Nursing, but I was doing really bad in A&P 2 (my professor was more of a scientist and was a really bad professor - it was his first year at the school I attended and they ended up asking him not to return the following year.) and I shadowed one of my mother's friends who was an SICU nurse and saw someone with an A line in her neck that was spurting blood and I had to go sit down cause I felt sick to my stomach. So, after I shadowed her, I went back to school, dropped A&P and changed my major. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology & Social Work but always kicked myself for not getting the degree in nursing. I was recently laid off and I decided to go back for that degree that I always wanted. I can't afford to go to a BSN program right now, so I have been taking classes at the local community college (they are making me repeat most of the science classes because they are over seven years old...) and hopefully I will get admitted into the accelerated program that starts this coming May. I am proud to say that I received A's in both of the A&P classes that I took over the summer. They were a lot more challenging than I thought. (I graduated from a private university, so I had this idea that community college classes were going to be a walk in the park!)

(I just found this site and I thought I would introduce myself. I looked and didn't see a thread where new folks said hi and gave their story, so I started my own. If there is a place that this is supposed to go, please feel free to move this.)

Re: New Here...

Good for you for returning to nursing school. I think the best thing you did is go to a community college for your A&P classes were probly smaller and more informal.
    Welcom to the siti.

Member Extraordinaire

Congratulations on returning to school sometimes just a little time and life experience helps you do better in school, work and life situations in general...I majored in accounting and then worked in a factory before going back to nursing school (graduated when I was 29 1st in my class) ADN program then continued for the BSN while working. Even my worst day nursing is better then the factory.

Thanks so much for welcoming me!!

I have some questions about which area of nursing to go into when I finally get the ADN and become an RN.

Since I have a background in Social Work and Psychology, I was thinking about Psych nursing. I used to do home visits with expecting and new mothers that were considered "at risk", I really enjoyed that, so I was also thinking either L&D or Postpartum or maybe a Peds clinic. Any advice on either of those fields? What about the all new grads should work Med/Surg first - how do you feel about that?

Member Extraordinaire

I think it's a good idea to get some of the basics that M/S has to offer and working a larger unit teaches some time management/priority skills
    Once you've done some clinicals you'll see more what nurses do in each area.
    I do L&D now used to do other things including home health where I saw the newborns and mom's at risk and anyone else they wanted to throw at me that they didn't have someone to send that day. I worked through the hospital so I was paid by the hour not the visit so I had time to do what I needed and didn't feel the need to cram another visit in. Peds clinic can get hectic esp in winter months.

Wow...way to go!!!

I could never go through A&P again!!!

I loved A&P. It was on of my most fascinating subjects. Went through it at Kapiolonie Community Collage in Hawaii. Then when I moved to Arkansas. I had to take it again because I did not take the lab. Same with chemistry.
    I hate MICRO. it they told me I had to go through that again I would have never become a Nurse.

Hi
    I am new too, doing my last year in nursing and hope to get through, although there are always some hiccups, I am going through one now. Go for that degree you want. I found Arts, welfare, sociology and journalism no help in getting a job, probably I was a bit old for the job market and had set values.I'd started nursing before arts and there's something about nursing that drew me back. all the best
    trier