Thread: Need advice-is it true nurses with hepititis cannot perform exposure prone procedures

Unhappy Need advice-is it true nurses with hepititis cannot perform exposure prone procedures

Hi I need some advice, I am currently undergoing my Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration) my roomate is doing Enrolled Nursing, my roomate just found out they have Hepititis and we were looking at the nursing regulations and we are sure it says nurses with blood borne viruses which includes hepititis cannot perform exposure prone procedures. is it true nurses with blood borne viruses cannot administer anything with needles, or anything under the exposure prone list?

As you can imagine this has quite depressed my roomate that his duties may be restricted. any advice or clarification is greatly appreciated.

Re: Need advice-is it true nurses with hepititis cannot perform exposure prone proced

I have been an RN since 1993. I was dx with Hepatitis C with a routine blood test on hire to a new hospital in 2002. They discovered it, accepted it, and assured me it would be confidential. With the use of universal precautions there were no restrictions put on me at at. I have been there for 4 years now and work in ICU. This is in Texas, not sure if states, hospitals or nursing boards can establish there own rules. No problems here. Good luck to you.