Thread: Disappointed one

Disappointed one

Hi, guys it was by accident that I came across this site and I am so glad that i did. Anyhow, I took the NCLEX RN exam for the first time this passed Aug. and i failed. Prior to taking the NCLEX exam i was using flash cards, made my own notes, referred Saunders, Lippincott's, Mosby's, did almost 2300 Q's and it didn't show on my out come. Well after going through the stages of Grief, im ready to restart studying again. I'm planning to enroll on taking Kaplan courses. I would really appreciate if you guys give me your comments regarding what i need to change on my study habits and what i need to do from this step forward. Thanks K

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Disappointed one

have you tried the Nclex 3000 computer disc? My school used that for part of the curriculum....helped quite a bit here.

My school used online tests from MedsPub.com and I found them very helpful. The price was included in our tuition and I do not know what products they offer to individual students but I will check out their website and products. The tests were about 3000 questions total and they included all areas: med-surg, psych, acute, alternate testing questions (new on NCLEX) etc. We had to pass each test with a 90% or better to graduate from school. It helped me a lot, especially since they have rationalle for each question and each answer, correct or incorrect. Hope that helps!

It sounds to me like you studied too much. If you are using too many study methods and dont give your brain a break you will shut down in the test. Use one to the max of three study methods and then give yourself breaks and give yourself a break of day or so before your test date.

I took the Kaplan course, reviewed, passed all pretests and passed NCLEX first time with minimum questions. Listen... what I took away from all of these was the bottom line feeling that CRITICAL THINKING rather than "drill down" knowledge was the key. Study sure, but it sounds as if "test taking" might be the problem. Kaplan won't teach you the material but can show you the skills you need to read the questions correctly. Unfortunately I didn't know this when I signed on for the course (I already know how to read (REALLY READ) a test), but many nurses found the course enlightening. Set up a plan, utilize test taking strategies, study, but don't forget to relax - you graduated... you already know the material.